Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
i love chica to death but i don't see why you have to buy them from him.

the design is pretty simple and if the crappy shop that i worked in made them then anyone can.

i'm thinking you could buy them cheaper from someone.

i was working for a shop that made after market harley frames and then the owner made a jig for invader wheels. one for rear wheels, one for front wheels, then with the jig you can line up the square stock and weld it to the hub and rim.

that's it. no cnc, no lacing.

they should be pretty cheap but we all know how the fucking motorcycle business is right now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Is anyone running Chica's Invader wheels? How do you like them? Are they better than the original ones? What's your feedback...
Yes, I have some.
I have never run the "originals", so I can't speak on them, but these are freakin' great!
They look good and roll true, what more could you want?
Well worth the $$.
G.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's all great, and I'm all for building everything myself, but I also know my limits. Not to mention I don't have a tig welder, I don't have access to a lathe to make the hub (nor do I know the specs for the bearing seats), a wheel truing stand, etc. etc... by the time I tap out my connections, resources and every free second, I will be way over the $590 that Chica charges for a new wheel. Still a great idea, and it would be neat to make my own wheels, but I'm way out of my league...

Now, buying a used original invader... also a great idea, but if I got one I would want a 21" 5-spoke with rotor accomidations. Not too many floating around with accomidations for a rotor not to mention that some of the older 21" 5-spoke Invader wheels were questionable in construction and had a history of folding under a heavy brake load... Too scary for me!

With all that being said, if Chica has a good history with Invader wheels I would consider buying a used Chica wheel or just spring for a new one.

Is there anyone else making well-constructed Invader wheels besides Chica?

snortonnorton said:
i love chica to death but i don't see why you have to buy them from him.

the design is pretty simple and if the crappy shop that i worked in made them then anyone can.

i'm thinking you could buy them cheaper from someone.

i was working for a shop that made after market harley frames and then the owner made a jig for invader wheels. one for rear wheels, one for front wheels, then with the jig you can line up the square stock and weld it to the hub and rim.

that's it. no cnc, no lacing.

they should be pretty cheap but we all know how the fucking motorcycle business is right now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah, you're right. i forgot about making the hub. that was actually the hardest part. took a long time to set up the tolerances and pattern them out correctly on the vertical mill.

also, even once you have it welded up, it's alot of work polishing them. square stock has a slight concave-ness in the middle of each side. so you have to sand them down even, then polish them grit by grit. alot of labor.

590 is pretty acceptable if it's polished and chromed.

i had no idea what the price was till you told me.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be crazy awesome to build your own wheels... so your company did this or something??? What else did they make? What company was it? That's pretty interesting.
snortonnorton said:
yeah, you're right. i forgot about making the hub. that was actually the hardest part. took a long time to set up the tolerances and pattern them out correctly on the vertical mill.

also, even once you have it welded up, it's alot of work polishing them. square stock has a slight concave-ness in the middle of each side. so you have to sand them down even, then polish them grit by grit. alot of labor.

590 is pretty acceptable if it's polished and chromed.

i had no idea what the price was till you told me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Look for cracks around the welds of your used Invader. Given the money, I'd say the Chica's are a wise investment (I was quoted $350 just to chrome plate my wheel - not including the repair charge for rusted/cracked welds).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is there anyone else making well-constructed Invader wheels besides Chica?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, these guys: http://www.wheels4choppers.com/

I have the front 21" invader spool and a rear 16" from those guys I am using. They are great looking. I got them when they were on special a year or so ago, but they are now around the same price as Chica's, I think.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Those guys make some nice looking wheels!! Price is reasonable also! $579 for a wheel with bearings and free shipping is a good deal! I noticed some good deals on the bargain page also. Thanks Nutz!

I wonder what they would look like black powder coated? Anyone have any pics? Do they look gay?

Tha Nutz said:
Is there anyone else making well-constructed Invader wheels besides Chica?
Yeah, these guys: http://www.wheels4choppers.com/

I have the front 21" invader spool and a rear 16" from those guys I am using. They are great looking. I got them when they were on special a year or so ago, but they are now around the same price as Chica's, I think.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
246 Posts
man I have been wanting to change my honda chop to Invaders for so long but since I am stubborn and cheap it aint happening.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
On the 21" spool, they had it in stock and I got it in maybe a week and a half. They were a little behind on the 16" wheel when I ordered it because they were switching chrome shops at the time, so it took about a month to get.

The wheels are super nice too. I am sure Chica's are awesome too, but the delivery time is obviously going to be longer since he has a pretty small shop and wheel building is not the focus of what they do.

Josh said:
so how's the service with these guys? did you have to wait forever? those wheels look good!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good tip Nutz! Chica builds rad stuff, but anyone who specializes in wheels, and has for 30-years, has to have that down pretty good. They really do look nice and I may consider getting a wheel from them. I may even consider seriously checking out their bargain page too! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Is anyone running Chica's Invader wheels? How do you like them? Are they better than the original ones? What's your feedback...
I had just seen Invaders made by a guy named Mcleod or Macleod. He used to be in SoCal, maybe San Diego/Oceanside, but I think he moved to OH now.

If I were you, I would hunt him down and get your wheels from him. I'm sure you could find him online.

Some people make Invader wheels and checks if they're true by spinning them on an axle pinched into a table vise. I always thought that wasnt right.

I know that guy Macleod doesnt check them like that.

-Nelson

·
Registered
504 Posts
scootermcrad said:
It would be crazy awesome to build your own wheels... so your company did this or something??? What else did they make? What company was it? That's pretty interesting.
It was a really fucked up company called sundance components. I stumbled upon this shop in cocoa florida when i was going to community college.

it was an old timer from sandusky ohio, so he knew alot about steel. so he made jigs and made after market harley frames, for even the road king.

but he was very disorganized, rude to customers, slow to get orders done, etc.

well, every now and then we would make harley springers of different lenghts, and then the invader wheel thing was only for a while just before he closed shop due to his fucking over his own name. i was leaving anyways to come here to FSU and he renamed his company so no one would know it's the same old shitty owner.

the good thing is i learned alot working there because i befriended a master machinist/welder who also worked there and left who is now my master and i am his apprentice. plus he grew up in san fran during early 70's and his brother is an HH member.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nelson--the guy you are thinking of is Scott Macleod and his business is the wheelsforchoppers site I posted the link to. They are indeed based in Ohio. Scott is a super cool dude, too.

Nelson said:
I had just seen Invaders made by a guy named Mcleod or Macleod. He used to be in SoCal, maybe San Diego/Oceanside, but I think he moved to OH now.

If I were you, I would hunt him down and get your wheels from him. I'm sure you could find him online.

Some people make Invader wheels and checks if they're true by spinning them on an axle pinched into a table vise. I always thought that wasnt right.

I know that guy Macleod doesnt check them like that.

-Nelson

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
Nelson--the guy you are thinking of is Scott Macleod and his business is the wheelsforchoppers site I posted the link to. They are indeed based in Ohio. Scott is a super cool dude, too.
Thanks.

I was purposely being vague here, not much I'd like to say online... you know?

-Nelson

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, BRO!!!!

Sorry I missed you in Davenport, sounds like a good time was had by all. Did any of you buy anything?

Nelson said:
Thanks.

I was purposely being vague here, not much I can say... you know?

-Nelson

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.