Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had really wanted to check out any differences since they moved the "28th Chicago Motorcycle Show and Expo from McCormic Place to southside Tinley Park.
But I guess i'm joining ABATE and others in boycotting the event. Why? They aren't allowing any colors, at all. Don't know how the Police member clubs, ABATE or anybody else will accept that. Even the Patriot Guard gets rubber stamped. Can't sport colors, but I think this is wrong. Can't remember any problems in the past.
You have to remember the policy was (and probably still is)no guns or knives allowed inside, but you could buy a knife once you get past the gate. (Last year my shop knife was confiscated, and when I complained when we left that I wanted my knife back I was told by Chicago's finest that they couldn't find it, I pointed out the officer that had it in his pocket. Got the knife and six pounds of attitude.)

But if you decide to go, it opens Friday at 1:00, Sat. at 9 AM. You can get info at 800 800-6084. 18501S. Harlem, Tinley Park.

Except for some chicken shit rules, a lot of us would be there

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going. Why do you need to fly your "colors" at a swap meet? You go to buy stuff and look at bikes, not vibe eachother or show how many guys you can get to join your crew. It's a motorcycle show, why boycott an industry that's on the decline in a an area that you can only ride 3/4 of the year? I'm not trying to be a jerk but it's just a show that you can't wear your patched up coat/vest at.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sounds like another family friendly and politically correct event. I believe its the same "Motorcycle Expo" they have here in Cleveland. I quit going to it years ago. Mostly over priced shiny junk anyhow.

·
Registered
897 Posts
This "show" has been going down hill for a long time. Used to be a great swap meet and place to see each other when Super Cycle or even J&P ran it. Reason it moved is because the new promoter has run this event into the ground and can't find enough vendors to fill the old venue. Don't waste you money on this one....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got to get out and see some bikes, even if it's not what it used to be. Last time I was there was something like 25 years ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with a friend of mine yesterday to set up his trike in the show and what a cluster fuck!!!! When the assholes set up the show they forgot to leave any room for aisles!!! After 4 hours they told us are set up spot was good. I get a call from my friend at 3 this afternoon and he told me that when he got there they had moved his bike and fucked up the display!!!! He was not happy!.

If you are planning to going to this show, stay home and save your money!!! It's a waste of time.

The no colors bullshit encludes HOG members and veterans clubs as well as the dreaded ABATE!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
While everyone is fighting about not being able to don your patches-I'll waste my time and trip over a deal hopefully-maybe the one you wish you got:D

We all know these big 'shows' get to be fucked up sometimes-but I like to pick the shit up and actually inspect it myself, that's my thing-Ebay fucking sucks, but we keep paying their fees right? Yeah, it'd different and the same.......Just sayin......

·
Registered
920 Posts
I went today... It Sucked but i did find a couple deals for my project, and a buddies project!! In and out in a 1.5 hour. FUCK it, it was worth my time

·
Registered
72 Posts
Help your friend setup and then tell people not to go to the show :confused:... Makes sense.
After a 2 hour trip to get there it was up to him whether we packed it all back into the trailer and went back home. We won't be making that mistake next year.

I just wanted to save other long distance travelers the pain!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I usually get a few booths at all of the J&P promotion show's but ever since paragons promotion took it over it has been down hill,it was 2 summers ago they had a swapmeet in peotone IL,I got a few spots there was all loaded up for a sunday swapmeet here they had it on saturday I never heard of a swapmeet in peotone on a saturday,when I got there there were people looking around WHERES THE SWAPMEET,not to mention the other vendors like me.
I called them on the next day to complain they told me that thats the only day they could get,I told them it's never on a saturday alot of people work saturday's.
the new promoters are the Pakistanian they were the one's selling the cheap leather's at the swapmeet's "Paragon leathers" they keep sending me notices to all their swapmeets but this one takes the cake set up was thursday and friday untill noon doors open friday at 2:00 untill 7:00 p.m I haven't heard how it was yet....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got a call from my friend around 5pm, he won his class, just a peice of plastic and no $$ as at past shows. A group of six went down from Kenosha to see the show and were told at the door that unless they had tickets the fire dept. wasen't letting anymore people in. They sat in the hotel bar next door for 2 hours till they were able to get in (not a bad thing I guess).

The line of people to get an autograph from "Opie" from the S.O.A. tv show was, I understand, super stupid long while the vendors were complaining they lost their asses.

A sad commentary on the current state of the biker culture in the midwest i guess. I can only say, thank god the OCC crew wasent there, or someone may have been trapled to death while waiting for an autograph!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok here is my story. I drive 5 hrs to go to a motorcycle show. We get there about 11:45 and are walking across lot and people walking away and they tell us don't bother if you don't have e-tickets. Fire marshall said they where at capacity and no ticket sales for at least an hour. We go to the door and this is confirmed. 5 hr drive and I can't get in! @#%^! I try to order e-tickets and find sales have stopped. I get on my smart phone and find that chi-town Harley was selling tickets. I called they had 25 left. So we go there and while buying tickets I run into some guys that tell me I'm wasting my money they won't let me in. They where pissed by the way and spending money that they might have spent at the swap meet.I take my chance and buy two tickets, stand in line for twenty minutes and finally get into the show. Lines lasted until probably around 3:00-3:30. Lot of pissed off people this day. Maybe 20 bikes in the show. Chicago and only 20 bikes in show, sad. My wife stood in line to get Opies autograph took maybe 20 minutes, but you had to buy a 25 dollar tshirt. A very bad screen print, but she shook his hand which made her happy. Badly run show to small of a venue for the amount of people, crowded everything was cramped together. Won't go back if it is held there. I did buy a couple of things from vendors. No parts though.Sorry I was so long winded. On the bright side I guess the economy must be coming around a lot of people spending money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quit going couple of years ago when the last good show was at McCormick Place. I take that back we went once at the convention center in Schaumburg. After that bad experence never went again. Raised prices and vendors had a lot of CRAP that was way over priced, some of it you could pay a little more and get new. I am glad everyone commented and hope it saved guys time and money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts