Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this image for quite some time, and just now noticed the drag bike. Anyone ever see a real one? Were any actually produced?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cal,
the Add reads Like 'we can build you anything' but I have no experience with the Company,
I do know if you have Images of a Basic-Classic Drag frame look n further than JJ member mrmom9r 'Don Rothwell' Vintage Drag Racer and Fabricator:
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/nvmdrafo...409432432fe7961e203fe05806&mforum=nvmdraforum
Yep, I know about Don. He builds some bitchin bikes!!! Don is only about four or five hours south of me. Sometime I'll get to his shop.

That drag bike frame looks like somone in tha art dept. never saw a bike frame.
That is what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
That drag bike frame looks like somone in tha art dept. never saw a bike frame.
Seen plenty of single down tube front loops on different frames, I thought that their idea of a single tube rear loop was really innovative! No ability to run a rear axle completely eliminates the added weight of a rear wheel, not to mention you'll have less rotating mass and you'll cut the tire to track friction in half by only running a front wheel. I mean, it makes sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seen plenty of single down tube front loops on different frames, I thought that their idea of a single tube rear loop was really innovative! No ability to run a rear axle completely eliminates the added weight of a rear wheel, not to mention you'll have less rotating mass and you'll cut the tire to track friction in half by only running a front wheel. I mean, it makes sense when you think about it.
Uh huh. Dig that neck rake too; what do you run there, a 10" wheel?
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I posed this same question about a year back over on the H.A.M.B. on both the board and in the Chassis Research Social Group, and have yet to get answer. This decal would be from the very end of C.R. as an individual company before it bought out by a company call EELCO. 'Bout '63 or so. My hunch is that there was intention to produce a motorcycle frame, a VERY highly stylized drawing was made, then the sale squashed actually doing it. For you guys that don't know hot rod lore, Chassis Research was the clas act in dragster frames and accsessories in the late fifties and early sixties. I'm sure if it was ever produced it would have certainly been the best available at the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted on the CR group last night. I am thinking you are right. The want was there, but never happened. At that point, I think everyone was using Hagon and Yetman frames.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If my hunch is right and my timeline is as well, I don't believe Hagon and Yetman were doing frames quite yet. I would place this at about '63, weren't the others more like about '66 or '67? This frame has been bugging me for quite a bit...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be. The only Hagon photos I have with dates is a 1970 catalog ad with the Jap twin that Alf rode.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have never seen or heard of a Chassis Research drag bike frame. But they sure built some of the finest AA/FD frames for the car guys.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Not to hijack but, speaking of Don, Mrmom9r, anyone heard from him? I was following the twin shovel build and then poof......

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Seen plenty of single down tube front loops on different frames, I thought that their idea of a single tube rear loop was really innovative!
The "single side" rigid was the predecessor to the "single side" swing arm used on many modern sport bikes. Ahead of their time they were.

Bob

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not to hijack but, speaking of Don, Mrmom9r, anyone heard from him? I was following the twin shovel build and then poof......
Don had a problem with his arteris a couple stints later he is recovering well hoping to see him back on the track again this summer
I have one of Dons frames for triumph Cal if you want it pm me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don had a problem with his arteris a couple stints later he is recovering well hoping to see him back on the track again this summer
I have one of Dons frames for triumph Cal if you want it pm me.
Thanks for the update Wayne! Hope Don has a speedy recovery!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts