Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, for reference, this is about a T140 w/ a Boyer MKIII and an Accel coil. Back in November I had the ignition apart to install a new timing case cover. upon re-installing the ignition, I had somehow misplaced one of the little washers that help hold the plasticy "stator plate" thing in place. I was in a hurry to make a ride, so I put the two little bolts in without the one washer, timed my bike and off I went, bike in truck to get to the ride. Once on the ride, I found the bike now had a stumble or "miss" around 2k rpm and fell apart completely above 3k rpm. as long as I took it easy, I could get down the road, but any hard acceleration or fast cruising was out. I put the bike away after that ride and figured I would deal with it later. Well, winter came and I never got a chance to really ride it again since. Cut to today, bored, re-reading the hilarity that is the Jason Jessee movie thread, I think hey, lets find that issue, figuring it would be a plug wire or something. upon tearing everything apart, it all looks good, wires are all good, no shorts, plug wires are tight and in the coil good... ignition switch wiring is all tight... but after pulling my boyer plate again, I notice a little washer behind the plate where the "rotor" part spins. SO - is this what is causing my miss? Could that washer knocking around back there screw with my ignition? nothing looks damaged or anything... I would take it out for a rip to see for myself, but there is 2 feet of snow everywhere and it's -15C (0F), and I'm a pussy with the cold (and salt),

·
Registered
243 Posts
Eldo, very possible. Also you should always check the timing with a strobe after removing and re-installing the stator plate. Lastly, check the b/y and b/w wires from the stator plate to the coils including the 2 connections by the plate as they get moved around a bit when removing the cover. Jack

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Boyers have a habit of breaking the wires inside the insulation near the bullet connectors from the repeated shaking and the weight of the bullet connectors, I seen many bikes especially Nortons that the shaking will cause the metal wire inside to be broken but the insulation is not, on Norton's it is highly recommended that you glue the wires and connectors down to the stator plate. the broken wires will test ok with a continuity test because they are touching but they seperate with vibrations causing a miss at certain RPMs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.