Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a Rebel 250 that is having electrical problems. She says that it was starting only sporadically, and has now "died". We hooked the charger up to it and the battery has got zero juice in it. This battery is only 6 months old. I am guessing the problem has to do with the charging system. What could possibly be the problem? Regulator? What should I check out? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Get a good charge on the battery. Maybe have it load tested at a shop or even an auto shop to make sure it is good. Or just get a new one (preferably not one from Wally-Mart as they generally just suck, -the batteries and Wal-Mart both). I use AC Delco as I get them cheap and have had good luck with them. They also have a good warranty. Now that you're sure the battery is ok, test the alternator/generator output. voltmeter across the battery with the engine not running you should have bat. voltage= 12.? volts or so. Maybe 13. then run the bike and watch the meter it should start to increase as the engine speed increases over 2500 rpm. It should go into the high 14's Max. If it stays at bat. voltage you are not charging. If it contiues to climb higher than say 15v, you are over charging. Either condition will lead to battery failure. It has been my experience with rice burners that if the battery is not sufficiently charged it may crank ok but not start. I hope this is what you were looking for. MIKE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.