Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to change the shift pattern on a 45 flathead 1941 3 speed transmisson so to change it from 1st gear being forward to first gear back. I've heard all I had to do was put a 47 shifter drum and call it good. Is their any timeing marks on the 47 drum and 41 shifter gear to be reconfigured? Is their a specific gear that the trans should be left in when removeing and reinstalling the drums? Im doing this because I have nice origanal 47 tanks which use the 1st gear back shift patern.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
You are correct in just changing the drum. No marks need to be changed, when they line up it is good. You will have to re-center the shifter forks to their proper locations to eliminate any differences in the roller path. The timing mark location dictates what position the forks are in for changing the drum.
Robbie

·
Registered
235 Posts
41 and 47 shift gears are the same, but marked different. I'm thinking it would be easier to time it with the correct gear. If you eye ball it you could wind up off a tooth. But if you take your time, probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. There is a 3 and an R stamped onto the shifter arm gear. Should the Chamferd gear on the 47 drum be aligned with one of the two? Also, what gear should the transmission have been left in while doing all this?
Two service manuals have been ordered, i just dont know if they will have the info i'm needing.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
41 and 47 shift gears are the same, but marked different. I'm thinking it would be easier to time it with the correct gear. If you eye ball it you could wind up off a tooth. But if you take your time, probably not a big deal.
Not So, They are mirror image. But hey, do what you like. After all its only your parts you'll fuck up!
Robbie

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not So, They are mirror image. But hey, do what you like. After all its only your parts you'll fuck up!
Robbie
The drum is mirror image. I was referring to the shifter arm gear. As johnnyd states, the early one has a 3 and an R stamped on it. The later has a 1 stamped on it. These marks are used for proper setup.

Now how is it I am "fucking up my parts"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts