Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter switched from belt to chain drive on my sons 96 dyna..We have to re-tighten the chain almost every 3-4 days. With as many times as we have re-tightened it, I don't think its a matter of chain stretch. The axle is not cocked in the swingarm when the chain loses tension and is in the same location as when it was torqued down (65-70 ft.lbs.) Any thoughts?Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
my guess cheap chain had this happen on the kids race bikes I never would have believed a chain could stretch that far it still amazes me it was after every race then got to the point had to take links out. and when i say cheap chain it wasn't a "cheap" chain they were all renthal gold chains i switched over to RK and have been much happier

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Ken Will try your idea..with weight on back tire , And yes it is a cheap chain,the one we got from Zippers was a 0-ring chain but I f'ed it up and bought a Tsubaki for 1/2 the price,just to get on the road this summer I guess I didn't read my quote at the bottom of my post. .Thanks for your ideas

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Cheap chain isn't always cheap. The company that I used to work for sells "induatrial" chain. Designed for a couple of horsepower at a consistent speed. I ued it on my LSR Norton. One 1.3 mile run and it was shot to hell. I bought top of the line RK and have yet to replace it. Two El Mirage seasons and two Bonneville SpeedWeek meets. Never cheap out on chain. It just becomes to expensive.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lack of lube will also kill a chain, any chain, quick. An O-ring will last longer, but a regular chain will eat itself in a few hundred miles if it's not lubed enough. I only use O-rings now, usually have to tighten them once, *maybe* twice in the first 500 miles, then it's usually good for at least 3-4K between adjustments...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You've eliminated wheel movement in the axle slot. That points to the chain. There's another possibility. Failing swing arm bushings. Have you checked those?

Bob
+1 on this. You'd be surprised at how far shit starts to move as the bushings deteriorate. Definitely worth having a look.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never used tsubaki chains i run non oring on my drag bikes. Ek drz2. I rarely have massive chain stretch problems. I adjust every couple weekends at best. The drag bikes i have make anywhere from 200_550 hp w no syruts or bars. I thi k u may be having a issue somewhere else. Also i would expect a chain to stretch initially so take tgat into consideration. Check swingarm bushing n replace them with one of those delrin kits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.