Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a hardtailed stock frame for my ironhead, and although dude said it was stock length (yeah right), chain is now about 5-6" too short... short stretch, but frame is probly a 2-2.5" stretch i guess..

anyways, whats easiest way to figure out chain i need? besides takin it to a shop, LOL.. and can i add a few inches on to mine? or does it all need tobe new?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
best way to cut it? i need to buy that tool hey?

·
Registered
853 Posts
i just grind the pins down flush with the side plate and pry it apart with a screwdriver, but there are special tools for pushing the links apart

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grinding it is, LOL

my question is how long of a chain do i buy? seem to be more $$ by the link almost... longest one?

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
buy one longer than the one you have .

figure it out . . . put your short chain on the bike and get a general idea of how much longer you need , then buy one that is longer than you need & trim it to fit .

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Put your short one with the center of the chain on the tranny sprocket and wrap it around so each end is on the wheel sprocket and count the number of teeth in the gap and that's how many more links you need. You should grind the rivets before using a chain breaker as the rivets are peened and if you forcve them though without grinding you'll enlarge the hole. You figure out your oil lines yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts