Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 200 out back on my curent project and am running a chain final drive. The only problem i am having is figuring out what offset i need to run on the transmission sprocket. No one can seem to answer my question. This is the only thing holding me up on getting this thing on the road. Its a 50 dollar part but i don't know which size to order. Any help would be appreciated.

-b

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's hard to answer without knowing your frame type. I assume you already have some kind of transmission sprocket, right? Then just get a bunch of washers, use those to space your sprocket out, and once it all lines up, measure the thickness of the washers to figure out the offset.

bluebrian said:
I am using a 200 out back on my curent project and am running a chain final drive. The only problem i am having is figuring out what offset i need to run on the transmission sprocket. No one can seem to answer my question. This is the only thing holding me up on getting this thing on the road. Its a 50 dollar part but i don't know which size to order. Any help would be appreciated.

-b

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Then run a straight edge on your rear sprocket--just use your frame rail as a reference point to make sure you are straight. Make sure you put the straight edge flush with the inside lip of the sprocket. The straight edge should hit your tranny shaft and since you made sure it was all square, you can measure from the inside of the straight edge to the face of the transmission to get your offset.

Someone like irish rich probably would know off the top of his head what the right offset would be, but since I haven't ever used a tire bigger than a 140, I don't know what else to tell you.

bluebrian said:
its a stock geometry hardtail...
it was a belt drive on the tranny and i removed that...
so i dont have anyhting to base it on.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I could, but I won't.

Why? because this is one of those "pull teeth" tech questions.

Bluebrian can't figure out why nobody can answer his question, and yet there is no info to go on except that it's a stock geometry frame, and he took the belt pully off. No frame brand, no tranny type, no drive sprocket offset (if any), no info on if the peliminary drive train alignment from the engine to the tranny is done yet, if the rear wheel is centered/spacers in place/and everything torqued to spec.

I'll help anybody who asks me, you'll vouch for that, but some pertinent info would be nice.......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
fair enough. It is krafttech frame. Revtech 6 speed. BDL open primary. the primary was mocked up but i need to leave it off until i get the right sprocket. The frame is a stock geometry no stretch or rake. It is designed for a 180/200 rear tire. The rear end is centered because i have to mill down the spacer for the sprotor but want to have everything else lined up forst so i know how much to take down. Everything else looks stock. Everything is preety straightforward. I appreciate the help. I figured somone would know.

hope thats enough info...

thanx

-b

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
See? You have a sproter involved, which is a flat sprocket.

I just did a Kraftech frame/Exile sprocket brake/18x5.5 softail dual flange spoke hub setup, with a RT 5sp. It was a 180 Metzler tire.

With the sprocket mounted flush on the hub flange (no spacer), and the wheel centered, it took a 1/4" offset tranny sprocket.

However, with you going to a 200, and not knowing the rear wheel you have, I'm going to guess that you'll need a 1/2" offset tranny sprocket.

Here's what you'll need. You can do this two ways:
1. Go to the Harley Dealer and get PN 33334-85 trans sprocket spacer for the early Softail chain drive application, and the corresponding seal PN 12050. While you're there, get the quad seal and replace that as well. Get the 1/2" offset sprocket from Drag Specialties PN 199496 (24T). The rear wheel spacer you get with it might be all you'll need.
or......
2. Get the Baker Drivetrain 1/2" offset tranny sprocket PN 24T05-56 (24T), and the matching spacer/seal for it - which is Baker's OEM replacement for the H-D PN's. Either way, the Baker sprocket is far superior to the one's that Drag gets now.

Now, some guys have told me that P.B.I. makes a 1/2" offset sprocket that is made so you don't have to change the spacer/seal from belt to chain, you just use the one's that you have. I can't say on that, because I haven't done it yet.

Either way, set your tranny sprocket up, put your straightedge along the tranny sprocket FACE, and measure from that to the face of your hub, and subtract your sproter thickness, and that's the thickness of your hub spacer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts