Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got what i've been told is a casey talon springer and i've got a few questions.

1. is it worth anything or am i gonna get the same as any other springer if i sell it

2. how do i tell if it is a casey talon(can't take pics right now because its raining but i'll upload what i've got)

3. is it a good quality springer or is it average. how does it compare to a sugar bear or other high end springer

4. are they still being made

5. if it's not a casey talon what is it

254646_2352232091674_1426294860_2689202_8332773_n.jpg

300431_2352234091724_1426294860_2689207_664997_n.jpg

303822_2537386040407_1426294860_2864002_1683164306_n.jpg

·
6,351 Posts
Tallon was a real Internet shitbag years ago. Screwed a lot of people, crap work...there was a class action lawsuit against him.

If it was indeed made by Tallon...I'd peer at it closely before running it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Pretty sure that's not a Casey Talon springer, his were more "sculptured", round edges, etc, didn't use pointy rockers.

I talked to him about getting an alloy wedge shaped flattracker oil tank made for a BSA but then the shit hit the fan over on The Horse forum Back Talk and in The Horse magazine ( I was "Fossil" on Back talk). His stuff looked "nice", priced right but was junk.

Oops, it's spelled Tallon and the shop was Casey Tallon Kustoms

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
D&D, Fury, One of many that were made by many, many weld shops?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Thats why I put in the "Many Weld shops"

Yep, it is cheeply made.....

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Trees are square stock and has round tube, don't know if solid or hollow, so who knows who made it......

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah better pics will help.

And Dr Benwey, yeah I can see it good enough in the pics....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Before putting that bike on the road, take the springer apart and make sure the spring rods are not worn or bent, many lower end springers didn't have any bushings or guides. Also check for wear in the rocker bushings, if there are bushings, and replace or grease.
Clean the paint off the area where the tubes are welded to the lower tree and check for cracks or repairs, eyeball it to make sure it isn't bent.
By the way, how are you going to register it Ontario without a front brake? You could mount a rotor (looks like a 19" Sportster wheel), but mounting the caliper will require a bracket that pivots on a bushing or bearing, spacers and anchored to the rear leg. If you're not sure about the springer, dump it and pick up a complete BSA front end, you'll be ahead of the game without spending a fortune.
Can I also suggest you have that rear end remounted - the way it's mounted now might fail. Cut out the upper section and weld in tubing with sleeves and run them straight to the top tube.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before putting that bike on the road, take the springer apart and make sure the spring rods are not worn or bent, many lower end springers didn't have any bushings or guides. Also check for wear in the rocker bushings, if there are bushings, and replace or grease.
Clean the paint off the area where the tubes are welded to the lower tree and check for cracks or repairs, eyeball it to make sure it isn't bent.
By the way, how are you going to register it Ontario without a front brake? You could mount a rotor (looks like a 19" Sportster wheel), but mounting the caliper will require a bracket that pivots on a bushing or bearing, spacers and anchored to the rear leg. If you're not sure about the springer, dump it and pick up a complete BSA front end, you'll be ahead of the game without spending a fortune.
Can I also suggest you have that rear end remounted - the way it's mounted now might fail. Cut out the upper section and weld in tubing with sleeves and run them straight to the top tube.
i've got a home made disc set up for the front that i'll put on when i go for a safety then it's coming off, same with a front frender

·
Registered
887 Posts
Comparing a Casey Talon springer to a SugarBear springer is worse than comparing Long John Silvers to Red Lobster

Sixball

·
4,033 Posts
Respectfully, I think Mr. Bear's springers are a little more revered than 'Red Lobster'...

·
4,033 Posts
Apparently I did :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Honestly, I think Long John Silvers might take offense to that too. If it came down to paying Long John Silvers $5 for some nasty old shrimp or paying $5 to Casey Talon for a springer, I'd go with Long John Silvers, at least then you wouldn't have to wait for years just to find out you're not gonna get what you paid for. He never burnt me personally, but I do know a few people (I really know them, not just word of mouth rumor BS) that paid for parts. I don't know a single person that ever actually received any parts or their money back.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ha, you mid west guys are killing me. i buy my lobsters fresh off the boat.... now THATS Sugar Bear! Get that springer checked out or you may become that_dead_kydd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts