Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been answered before, for some reason the search function doesn't work on my tablet. Now that I have my triumph in a hundred zip lock bags I want to clean up the cases and polish the covers. Any advice on having the cases tumbled, bead blasted or cleaned ? I don't want to screw up any bearing surfaces, but I love how clean and new some of the rebuilt engines look here.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
be very careful about the tumbling thing, we have had some trouble with getting the pieces of shot out of the oil passages and the thread holes and it caused some damage on start up.
Vapor blasting might be a better way to go.

·
Registered
706 Posts
1st choice: vapor blasting, clean, no risk leaves the original finish intact.
2nd: tumbling (used this on my A65, came out well)
3rd: glass bead, because it seems to leave the surface a bit roughed up, making it easy for grease, dirt etc. to stick to it. Too, I worry about getting all the grit out

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I agree with Glider..
1. Vapor blasting is amazing.
2. tumbling looks great but can cause problems if the shot is not completely removed.
3. bead blasting works but is better when used on smaller parts.

ceramic and walnut shell blasting can also clog things up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When you guys vapor blast your cases, do you treat the sealing surfaces or bearing surfaces any differently than the rest? IE- do you mask these areas, or treat them with extra caution??? Or just blast away and not worry about it?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
A friend of mine had a whole car Vapor Blasted, it wasn't even necessary to remove the glass or chrome. none of that was damaged. it removed all the dirt and paint but not rust.
It is just baking soda and water.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Soda blasting is easy to do and does a good job is stripping aluminum down to a bare finish. Once you're done, you can soak the part in boiling water and any baking soda left in passages will come right out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Soda blasting is different than vapor blasting, which is done with very fine glass media.

You don't have to mask precision surfaces with either, but you do need to make sure oil galleys are clean with the VB.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Soda blasting.I bought myself one for little money from harbor freight. Borrow a big compressor or rent one. Bam.. You can do it all outside as well. Just make sure the wind isn't blowing into your face, I got covered.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I like the look of vapor blasting,but glass beads on the inside(where oil circulates) of cases scares me.The surface of alloy cases is porous and beads can get trapped in tiny holes/pores and when the motor gets to operating temp.and the alloy expands,the glass beads or fragments of the beads get released. No big deal on the outside of a motor,but glass in your oil is "NO BUENO". I'm wondering how the vapor blasters address this issue? Jack

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.