Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
There's a metal water bottle kind of thing that holds close to a gallon you can get and its durable. A buddy of mine laid his bike down on tje side that had it on and it survived with minoe road rash.

·
Registered
296 Posts
They're called camp fuel bottles. They have a nice o-ring seal cap to prevent leaks. Comin in various sizes, usually 12-16oz. I'd carry two of them. Don't forget to change the furl periodically as today's gas gets crappy pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My Part-timer Steve's auxiliary gas tank, we put this together for the trip out to Born Free this year. Flatside tank rubber mounts, holds 1/2 gal.

1. Gas tank w/ vented cap located behind Steve's oil tank...

2. Small nitrous system fuel pump hidden below the transmission side cover, wired to a switch in his ignition box.....

3. Small inline petcock, line tee's into the line from the main tank to carb.....

Tank works just like we figured it would. You can either flip the switch on the fly, or you can pinch off the line to the carb, and fill the main tank. Pump takes about 30 seconds to move the gas into the main tank that way.

Want to talk "road tested"? Steve's got over 4,000 miles on this setup since Born Free, and just headed out from Denver to Stevens Point, WI last Sunday on this bike, and after Wisconsin, he's headed all the way East in time for Walt's Gypsy Run.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Run down to your local industrial surplus shop and aquire a fire extinguisher, (they're pretty cheap even new. a 5 lb one holds about a gallon and straps to a sissy bar pretty easy, mine's a 10lb'r and fits perfectly against my sissy bar and is about as tall. Drill a hole on the bottom, (out of the bottom side is best), weld in a petcock bung which'll run you about $9 from bung king then screw in a cheapo petcock, (not so cheap that it doesn't turn completely off). Before I started I took my extinguisher body to a hardware store and found a brass npt to barbed hose fitting that would screw into the top where the nozzle went. It was a 22mm adaptor to some kind of NPT to 1/4 barbed hose fitting. I have about 2 feet of rubber hose that runs down the side of the bottle off my fender for my vent line, (I put one of those stock one way EPA valves in the middle of it too). I also got a T-fitting that I placed in the middle of my fuel line. When the bottle is attached to the bike the fuel line runs along the side of my fender, seat, under my gas tank and into my regular fuel line. When I'm not using the bottle, I cap off the T. I run the extra bottle open while I'm riding and it suppliments the regular fuel, when I swich over to reserve it's usually empty so I just use the regular reserve in my gas tank. If your intent is to use this setup as your only reserve, get a better petcock. I've used this setup on a couple long trips and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rode my new Triumph "07 T100" from San Diego to Grand rapids MI once. I planned the trip pretty carefully but there was one stretch I was worried about in Utah. I had about 110 miles or something with no services and it was up hill. I knew for a fact that with limited wind I can go 100 before hitting reserve. I did it strait up dirty style and just sneaked a ltr of gas into an Aquafina bottle and stuffed it into my tank bag. I don't recall exactly but I think I made it to green river without using it but it was damn close. I ended up puting 3.9 gallons into the 4.1 cap tank...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I rode my new Triumph "07 T100" from San Diego to Grand rapids MI once. I planned the trip pretty carefully but there was one stretch I was worried about in Utah. I had about 110 miles or something with no services and it was up hill. I knew for a fact that with limited wind I can go 100 before hitting reserve. I did it strait up dirty style and just sneaked a ltr of gas into an Aquafina bottle and stuffed it into my tank bag. I don't recall exactly but I think I made it to green river without using it but it was damn close. I ended up puting 3.9 gallons into the 4.1 cap tank...
I rode that same stretch through Moab on my 883 hugger back in '93. I laid on my tank and sucked it in. Rolled into the gas station on vapors. **** to Sturgis and back with a 2.25 gallon peanut tank was certainly an adventure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rode that same stretch through Moab on my 883 hugger back in '93. I laid on my tank and sucked it in. Rolled into the gas station on vapors. **** to Sturgis and back with a 2.25 gallon peanut tank was certainly an adventure.
Yeah I know what you mean dude. I had my wide on the back with two bags and a tank bag clocking in at like 60 pounds since it was full of tools and guns, "don't ask" I think we hit a grain scale in Iowa and clocked in at 800 pounds or something. I never thought we would make it to green river. Awsome ride apart from the fear of being stranded without fuel in the Utah desert. I guess that's what the guns were for.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My last Ultralight had two 5 gallon tanks with a "quick disconnect" fitting. In the US, you are only allowed to have 5 gallons on a UL. I guess the previous owner used 10 gallons around his farm, but took one tank out if he went to somewhere the FAA was expected to be.

I think I'm going to look for those fittings. It would be nice to be able to clip a bottle on for long trips, but I wouldn't want for local gatherings.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2023

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know anything about those fuel bottles, but don't you have to worry about venting? I'm picturing myself in the 100+ degree Arizona heat with one of those MSR bottles full of hot gas running into problems.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wasn't there a king and queen seat for sale on the board with a tank in the back? I dunno what your bike looks like but that was a great idea

1 - 20 of 43 Posts