Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help....
rebuilt a handful of carbs for cars, but working on the wifes honda cb360, got her pumped up and doing her own carbs, but the float shit is weird....

according to the book "Tilt the carburetor slowly untill the tang on the float just barely touches the float needle."

what the hell does that mean? Car carbs it's just float drop and float height. The needle has a spring plunger, but that's always in contact, and the 'tilting' thing???? It's supposed to be set at 3/4", would I be save just measuring the float drop?
FWIW, it's a 74 cb 360 with the stock carbs.

thanks...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
basicly just turn the thing upside down and measure from the topmost part of the float to the bowl mounting surface. check your spec sheet and see if they want the bowl gasket in place for this or not. bend the tang on the float to set the desired height.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is to have both floats (I'm assuming there are two on either side of the tang) at the same level. If one is higher than the other it'll throw things off pretty good. Measure both heights and twist the floats a little to bring them into parallel.

Once you get things where you think they should be, you can put the carbs all back together and mount them to some sort of bracket so that the bowls are level to the ground. Hook a clear plastic tube to the bowl drain and loop it up to the top of the carb - fill the carb with fuel and open the bowl drain. The fuel will fill the tube and should stop about 1/16" below the top of the bowl where it meets the body of the carb (at least I think it's 1/16"). You want to use like 3/8" tube so you don't get a false reading from cappilary action.

·
Registered
897 Posts
PBR,If you look at the float needle it has a spring in it.I think what they are trying to tell you in the book is to tilt it until the needle is just touching it not compressed.The thread from Knucklebuster about floats being even is very important.Make sure this is the case.If you hold carb a little off from horizonal (dont compress the needle) with float pivot on the top you should be able to get the float height set from there.the measurment should be from the gasket surface (on the carb) to the bottom of float.A caliper works great for this measurement.Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
yea set the carbs upside down i alway's measure them with a set of calipers and you cannot set the floats on any jap carbs with the bowl gasket on always remove it i use some of those cheapo harbor freight digital calipers cause the read in mm which the book alway's call's for a metric height

1 - 6 of 6 Posts