Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '78 CB400T, I prime it with some fluid, kick it over, it fires up, but then dies.... It's like the carbs are not feeding the fuel to the engine. I bought the carbs off ebay, guys said they sat for a year. Should I rebuild, clean or what? they seem to operate freely. Any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The carbs need to be completly disassembled, all jets removed and cleaned. Squirt carb cleaner thru the gas passages and blow out all the little holes in the carb and jets. Also clean the little sediment bowl and screen on your tanks shut off valve. This should make everything All Better.

·
Registered
675 Posts
And feed your gerbil. He must be hungry :D
PONY said:
The carbs need to be completly disassembled, all jets removed and cleaned. Squirt carb cleaner thru the gas passages and blow out all the little holes in the carb and jets. Also clean the little sediment bowl and screen on your tanks shut off valve. This should make everything All Better.

·
Registered
583 Posts
DON'T SOAK THEM! the metal in some of the jap carbs has a bad habbit of dissapearing, A simple spray can of choke cleaner is all you need. When cleaning the jets hold them up to the light and look thru the small holes to make sure all of them are clear. When taking the float bowls off, after taking the screws out, lightly tap the bowl with a plastic screwdriver handle to pop the bowl loose from the gasket. Pulling it off will most likely rip the gasket. Also one of the smaller jets will have a small spring and tiny ball bearing under it. Disassemble over a clean towel to catch these parts so they don't excape. Do one carb at a time so you can look at the other in the case you forget how things go back. As for the idle mixture and speed adjustment screws, turn the screw in (clockwise) and count how many turns (count it in 1/8's of a turn) untill it seats, right that down and then remove the screws, return that screw to that position upon reassembly. That will put you in the ballpark with only minor ajustments to make when done. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts