Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i can do car carbs, blah blah blah, but bikes are different...

got my 67 ironhead runnin fine, went through carb, it was just gummed up (funny how i screamed at the guy at the HD counter over a condensor i didnt need, LOL)... but i have some issues

bike dies out when choke opened... (i htink i know why this is)

bike is HARD to kick.... will go 1 time about every 20 kicks.. or so.. sometimes not taht often

its a 900cc bored 30 over with a super E on it...

im thinkin (with help from a lil birdy) that carb is too big... so that explains why it wont run wide open.. but would that explain starting too? am i fouling out? she starts usually after a couple kicks with a lil starter fluid, but thats a different fuel... shit, aNYTHING can ignite taht.... ideas???????????????

·
Registered
726 Posts
I doubt that it's the carb. I ran a super E on a sporty and it started fine with or without choke. When you get it started, how does it run? Does it stumble accelerating or once you've hit cruising speed?

I would say it's a timing issue. Try timing it off the round mark on the fly wheel not the line and making sure your pushrods are adjusted properly. If one of the intake valves isn't opening is will make it a botch to start. Don't give up on the carb just yet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not givin up on the carb...

risers still stripped so cant road test HARD, but can rev test hard, LOL... it will rev HARD but only graduall, QUICK hard rev like a jolt on the throttle it bogs...

does that help??

im startin to think timing too

lil birdy and i are talkin

·
Registered
427 Posts
fuel and or air passages in the carb are also gummed up that is why you have to use the choke to keep it running...might also have a huge air leak somewhere...check all the passages with a tip cleaner..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it will idle FINE...

people have said the E is too big for a pretty stock lil 900... but i dont think so...

where in carb would i look for air shit>? (sorry im dumb)... had the sucker all the way apart (those lil metal balls are a BITCH)... where would i need to look in there?

·
Registered
427 Posts
now ya got me confused....it will idle fine...will it idle without the choke being on...btw if it is a S&S E it is a enrichener not a choke...now it sounds to me you don't have the air set right to allow it to idle...turn in the little screw on the left side of the carb til it bottoms out...turn it out 2 full turns this should atleast get you to some air and fuel to fine tune the carb while running...if it starts and idles now check the color of smoke coming out of your pipes most Ironheads the rear always smokes blue anyways DOHH...LOL...had to throw that one in there...if the exhaust coming out is black turn that screw in til the motor idles up higher find the highest idleing point and back it out 1/4 turn...try that before we go anywhere else ok...later Chaz

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DOH!!!! thought that was a choke...

idles with that all the way out... and starts dyin down when i push it in..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sounds like air fuel mixture...turn the idle screw up a bit to raise the rpm's a bit so when you adjust the idle mixture screw you can tell by the up and down of the rev then turn the idle back down to where she lopes 800-1000 rpm range...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chaz where you live?

im here in milwaukee.. i need more biker buds!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shawano area East of Wausau and West of Green Bay...right smack in the middle....

·
Registered
427 Posts
51rat said:
chaz where you live?

im here in milwaukee.. i need more biker buds!!!!!!!!!
also forgot to tell ya...all ya got do is go down by the docks on the east side there find the Nautical that's where all the black & whites hang out...my uncles brought me down there several times...what better buddy's could you have then that ayye...LOL...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds like Chopper Chaz has you on the right track. I don't know these carbs, but I know the condition - you're running lean. Either you have a vacuum leak somewhere or your mixture needs to be richer.

Good luck!
Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts