Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the cause of this? All oil flows look good and no excessive oil in the crankcase. It's just about 100 miles on new motor.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Definitely burning oil in that cylinder. Could be the rings didn't seat, the ring grooves were accidentally lined up, the valve guides and/or seals are bad on that side, etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crummy picture, yes that plug is fouled. It was only a bit of smoke that got my attention. Going to pull the cylinder tomorrow to check the rings. No scoring on the cylinder walls and no glazing, still has the cross hatching from the machinist. If the rings need replacing, can that be done done without a trip back to the machinist? Please say yes!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you didn't make the mistake of oiling the rings when you put it together did you?
and yes if you hone the cylinders with a ball hone you can re-ring it.
don't use any wis-bang oils with anti friction additives.
take you finger with a little oil on in and wipe it on the piston skirts then put the piston in there with everything dry.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did oil them....slightly. Dipped the finger in the oil can and smeared it around the cylinder walls. I gotta say this a very humbling process.

Drained the crankcase 4 or 5 times and get 150 ml every time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hartz, originally I was installing the crappy ones and one of the rings broke like a piece of cardboard (blessing in disguise and I should have none better). So I picked up a set of Hastings. The opening is just at the top of the photo. I think my OCD kicked in just in time to catch this. I've been looking at the cylinder walls and they are still nice and perty. Do the resident experts think throwing in a new set of rings be OK?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes, hone it and throw a new set of rings in it, DRY., We use Hastings and Hepolite rings, its because of the excessive rind gap and not a metal issue, almost all standard rings are cast iron rings.
A lot of the problem today is the oils, they have so much "slick-shit" mixed in, if you oil the rings you often times have a real hard time getting the rings to ever seat.
Try using Valvoline VR1 40wt. or a 40wt. non detergent motorcycle specific oil, or at the very least Castrol GTX 20/50.
never put a synthetic oil into a old British motor. be careful about how much assembly lube you put on things, it mixes with the oil right after start up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. All 6 Hastings rings came in at .014 right out of the package. Now I'm just wondering how that break got there. Interesting about the assembly lube. Kinda sucks I only have 2 weeks left in CA and the weather is perfect for a ride. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
very often they get broke when you install the cylinders over the pistons, one trick we do is grind the bottom of the cylinders to a bevel and then just rock the cylinders on without a ring compressor.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I feel for you bp131, that indeed sucks.
If I understand right, I think Tony is saying that the ring broke because it didn't seat (because it was oiled, or some other friction modifier issue)Or Not see above. If its not seated you get poor thermal transfer to the cylinder wall, can overheat and break).
Out of curiosity what oil were you using ? & what was the Pink assembly lube on the cam followers in your build thread ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great minds think alike. The guy that did my cylinders beveled the bottom without me even asking. Well at least I'm getting good at the in's and out's of the motor. Somewhere someone said the Triumph's will make you a good mechanic if you like it or not. Personally, I love it! If I only could get my neighbors to love it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Tony
If it was broken on assembly would it not have been smoking earlier than at 100 miles ?

I'm not questioning your opinion, just curious and would like to know more behind your thinking on this ?

Thanks
Drew

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drew, I used Valvoline 30wt Non detergent for the break in and switched to Torco 20/50. The pink stuff is Redline Assembly lube that my machinist provided.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks bp131

Do you think you will get time to try new rings before you move ?,Reality TV shows teach us there is nothing like a deadline to keep things interesting lol. I hope you get a ride in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll be back in action by next weekend. Cylinders tho the machinist tomorrow, pick up the rings on Tuesday and hopefully re-assemble next weekend. I'm a total spaz, I got this! If I don't get to ride this thing in the CA desert I swear I'll GIVE the bike away to somebody that has the testicular fortitude that will.

This is why I have not slept in months and the sole inspiration for my build. Ever since I was a little whipper snapper that was me going nuts on that beach.

·
Registered
243 Posts
nice little high side, shows how he knows what he is doing how he hops off without getting tangled up in the bike like a new rider would.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts