Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sweden trip didn't happen for me (Air Force), but now they wanna send me to Cold Lake, Canada, the last two weeks of April.. We might have a couple days off in between the flying.

Is there any cool stuff to find out there..? In Edmunton maybe..?

Thanks,

Maurice

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey maurice,
my girlfriend's parents live in Cold Lake, but i don't know a whole lot about it.
If you make it to edmonton though, things get a little better.
i would take the time to see john at Motoparts Inc for sure. he does brit bike parts for western canada and has a great shop that you can just dig around in. i'd be happy to show you my bike project too.
and i don't know, there's a big mall. pm me if you end up coming here and i'll tell you more.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah I have family up in Cold Lake as well. Not too much to do there this time of year.

If you make it to Edmonton you should check out Motoparts. Pm me if you'll be around and have time to get over there. I live blocks from John so I'll come meet up with ya!

Other than that there is a decent nightlife here if you're into bars, pubs or clubs. Come see WEM or give me an excuse to leave work for a day. :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
The Sweden trip didn't happen for me (Air Force), but now they wanna send me to Cold Lake, Canada, the last two weeks of April.. We might have a couple days off in between the flying.

Is there any cool stuff to find out there..? In Edmunton maybe..?

Thanks,

Maurice
Hey Maurice I didn't put 2n2 together but I assume your are called "Flying" Dutchman because you are a pilot in the AirForce? I almost volunteered to go to Cold Lake, CA when I was in the USAirForce active duty, but it just sounded cold to me for some reason. :p

Mitch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Dutchman,

I lived in Cold Lake for a year...decent LITTLE city, but not a whole lot to do except camping/boating type activities. They do have some mountainbike comps etc. during the summers, and a pretty decent skatepark on the base.
As previously mentioned, Edmonton has all the usual crap that any major centre would.... BUT...
If you've got the time, go to Wetaskiwin (small town about 1 hour south of Edmonton.) There you will find a MASSIVE, government-funded, automotive/aircraft/machinery/motorcycle museum. Seriously world-class, and yet it is out in the middle of no-where.
Lucky for you, they currently have an exeptional "History of the Motorcycle" exhibit that runs until the fall of this year. I try and get out there every few months to see what's new. They have a huge restoration shop, airstrip with vintage warplanes, multiple buildings and a whole shit-pile of cool old junk. Their 'off-limits' warehouses would make any gearhead freak out....It's just SICK what they have in storage out there. If you are in Alberta, I would HIGHLY recommend checking it out. And no, I don't work for 'em... I only wish.

regards,

silas

·
Registered
270 Posts
Shit Silas I didn't know they had a history of motorcycles exhibit on now. I'm going to head there for Family Day I think now.... thanks for the heads up!

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Yeah, the current exhibit is awesome. If you head out there, make sure you go into the aircraft hangars as well...that's where all the old military bikes are hiding.

regards,

silas

·
Registered
57 Posts
fuck, did they extend it? that's rad, i'm going to head there in a few days.

that exhibit is not to be missed. saw it last summer, amazing

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

We're arriving in Edmonton on Thursday April 13th.. Looks like we'll stay there over night. Friday we'll be going to Cold Lake.

The cool thing is that flying doesn't start until Tuesday afternoon.... What most of our guys did in the past when they had to go there, was making a tour through the Rockies. Through Jasper, Banff, Calgary, Lake Louise, etc..

I'll probably go with my mates and do that one too.

The next weekend (22nd/23rd) I'll probably go to the museum you guys talked about above. One of my collegues who comes along is really into vintage motorcycles..

I'm sure we'll go out a couple times in Edmonton too....

I don't know if I'll be able to see any of you.... Who knows.. I can always get in touch through this place.

And to top my trip off, my commander gave me permission to skip the flight back with the Air Force on the 29th. I'll fly out from Edmonton to LA on Friday the 28th.
Gonna pick up my stuff in Oakland and probably shoot a couple bike features up there and in LA. Rad!!

I'll post something on the HAMB too... Maybe there's someone from there in Cold Lake...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts