Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been lookin' at this leather riding jacket for about a month now, and i've finally decided to just buy it. it's pretty pricey and i've almost talked myself outta it a couple times.
it's 450 clams, but fuck it! i'm gonna do it anyhow.
i know good leathers are expencive, but am i nuts?
of am i normal?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds like either an Icon or anything from the HD dealer.

I went cheaper (bout 200) but I beat the living shit outta my coats..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yeah im poor and cheap, if my tshirt cant help me im screwed, LOL...

then again out here, we dont wear helmets either, dont have to... just glasses...

i DO need to buy some nice glasses with non tinted lense though so i can where em at night...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mute said:
Sounds like either an Icon or anything from the HD dealer.

I went cheaper (bout 200) but I beat the living shit outta my coats..
yeah it's an icon. shields on the forarms,shoulders,all the good saftey stuff. i've heard and read good things about their products.
i've got a few leather jackets, but nothign that will really help me if i go down(knock on wood).
vanson makes some nice stuff also, but just as pricey.
and i wouldent be caught dead in H-D junk.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ed said:
if you're spending 450, do yourself a favor and get a Vanson.
I got away clean when I layed down my bike, I had leather jacket on albeit it was at about less than 40 mph, by elbo to forearm would have been roadrashed badly. the jackget was about 120 bucks decent thickness leather. One thing to note is the difference between fashion thear and riding leather cowhid is usually the best thickness for riding.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My opinion, and its just like an asshole, if you get the armor, may as well go full out since its for safetys sake. Get the full face, the boots and the leather/kevlar pants also. Road rash on your arms and stuff suck, but its even worse on your arse....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know it's the rite thing to do, but the thing that really wierds me out is that i've spent less on whole cars and bikes before.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
beatcad said:
i know it's the rite thing to do, but the thing that really wierds me out is that i've spent less on whole cars and bikes before.
But if you only "use" it once, you'll be glad you had it on. I've got scars on my knuckles and a few vertibrae from sliding on pavement until it got down to the bone. Spend the money. Yeah, you can get a cheaper jacket that is probably just as good but the one you buy will last for decades.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I tell you what - I have a hard time finding a jacket that fits. Long arms, and lanky. The jacket I had since I was a teen was big in the body, only so it would be long enough in the arms. Needless to say, its not always the most comfortable. So last year I plunked 400, and finally got a custom fitted one from Schott. No it doesn't have any shielding, but you know something, its a great grade, thick leather that will protect, light weight, and warm, AND IT ACTUALLY FITS. So the way I figure it, I'm happy, and as such its worth the money.

That's the best way to measure worth - does it satisfy you the way you want, and does it satisfy your needs the way you want.

·
Registered
126 Posts
+3 for Vanson. Definately top of the line and they use extremely thick hides. They will do custom work if you want and they are easily repairable. The only down side is they are a bit stiff and take a while to break in.

If you want something a bit more gucci I would look at Dianese. I have had a few Dianese full suits and they saved my ass, literally, at the track. They fit like a glove and have a bunch of great features. Alpinestars also makes some high quality cool stuff and it usually cheaper than Dianese.

Sean.

·
Registered
236 Posts
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/1.html is real close to the one I got from Fox Creek. Damned good jacket and the vents actually work, least when I wear it. I musta got it on a good sale or something though... lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.