Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late '79 tranny. Replaced the spacer, main seal, and shaft seal. New PBI sprocket, and one of those sprocket nuts with the oil seal in it. My question is, is it possible to tighten too much? There's clearence between the back of the sprocket and the tranny case, and the sprocket turns without hanging up, the mainshaft turns freely, but when I turn the sprocket by hand it seems pretty snug, it just seems like I may have tightened it too much. Again there's no grinding or hanging up it just feels tight. Am I over thinking this or do I have a legit concern? Any opinions, suggestions?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not really. You could over tighten to the point of stripping the threads or breaking the nut, but that's rare.Their is a torque spec for the nut but I've used an 1/2" air impact for years without any problems. Take a look at the lip on the main seal to see if it is even all the way around. (did you look at it before installing the sprocket? I know it's hard to see it now.) I have had part of the lip roll under before causing a tight feeling. If so you can usually pull it back out with a small flat blade screwdriver. Don't use anything sharp as you can easily dammage the seal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I definately checked that before putting the sprocket on cuz that very thing happened to me on my first attempt at putting in the new seal. This time it all looked good, so I put the sprocket on with a 1/2" impact till she was tight.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That sounds good. I worry more about the nut not being tight enough. Iv'e taken several bikes apart only to find the sprocket loose, granted the lock ring was still holding the nut from spinning completly off. But it could bust the lock ring off and that could be a real pain on a trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts