Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its supposed to be a 1980 80" shovel but it has 10 fins and the heads have a 66 on them, I cannot find any other numbers and my interweb search rendered no result thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The numbering system used does not match a OEM system. - but it could be a aftermarket block been a pile of suppliers over the years and they tended to number them like that - who’s block ?????

if you remove the cam cover and a factory number is inside then i would remove that one as well as one can assume the original was as well

Reactions: gonzoshovel

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
where that number is, is NOT where Factory Harley numbers were stamped,...they were further forward on the motor away from the tappet block, where the thick looking black paint is, if you remove the paint nearer the forward edge you might find factory numbers or the remains of them if someone has removed them, also look under the bottom of the motor & on each half if factory, will or should be matching case numbers... you can just about see here where the factory stamped their numbers.... & my 78 Shovel has 9 fins so you'd think it's an 80ci but it is a 74 from the factory, so I personally think the 9 or 10 fin shit is just that, shit as it is not a gospel way of ID'ing ya motor size

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
pretty sure thats exactly what they do do. im interested is that a damper or gas strut

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It looks to me to be a gas cylinder and it always corrects to out but the mag wants to be in for advance

its well thought out and must do what its expected to do

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It's a Nitrogen filled, pressure adjustable strut, to retard the Magneto, the cable is for a handlebar mounted advance lever, just like on an old Brit bike, start in retard position, push lever forward & go, when ya stop pull the lever & the strut returns it to retard, you can see it here in use when my buddy rode the bike, I was about to set the idle on my then newly fitted Lectron & when he eventually remembered to retard it, it didn't need any adjusting.
(1) harley shovelhead with morris magneto & a lectron tune - YouTube

·
Registered
778 Posts
That retard setup looks classier than the coil spring looped around the timer that I have seen. I dig the blue hitch pin clip!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
yea i dabbled with the loop spring shit, to make it work mag had to be so loose it wobbled about in the end i fixed it permanently advanced.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
the 'wee' lifter block bolts are simply 12 point Gardner Westcott tappet block bolts with the correct taper,
& to say it looks a bit 'Heath Robinson is a compliment thanks even if not meant as one,
what else can you do seeing that no fuck makes an advance retard unit for magnetos ?
just making the best of what's do'able,
better than a shitty looking spring wrapped around it, that only either advances or retards, not both,
it was good for most motorbikes up to the mid/late 60's, so it's good enough for a Shovelhead.
show me something neater that works ................

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Pete. Can those be ordinary plastic cable ties securing your advance cable to itself? I never woulda thought they'd give you any peace of mind in an application like that.

(The paragraph above is meant to express praise and wonder. It is not repeat NOT a veiled criticism. Please, put away that .44 [Magnum]).

J. rats

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Pete. Can those be ordinary plastic cable ties securing your advance cable to itself? I never woulda thought they'd give you any peace of mind in an application like that.

(The paragraph above is meant to express praise and wonder. It is not repeat NOT a veiled criticism. Please, put away that .44 [Magnum]).

J. rats
no, they were only there until i got proper crush tubes, it's about a 2 year old pic

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Why do you think it’s a 1980 80”? Do you have paperwork for the engine? If so what does it say? Some engines have a state-assigned number for one reason or another but often they contain at least one letter to identify the state concerned. Often but not always.

As Andy mentioned, those are not pre-70s numbers. Your R-H case is 70 or later if H-D or it could be AM. Did you remove the paint from the front of the case and if so what did you find? Photo?

And did you look for numbers under the cases? H-D Shovel cases usually have crankcase production numbers (CPNs) under both halves for 1974 and earlier. As of 1975 models the left case still had its CPN underneath but the R-H case had it inside the gear compartment.

Also about 1975 H-D began stamping extra ID on each case. For example A123. Some left cases have it near the CPN but most have it at the back. R-H cases usually have it at the back, just inboard of the oil pump.

Anything stamped on top of the cases near the rear mounting bolts? Depending on engine model and year some H-D Shovel cases have Hs or 7s. Photo?
Some AM cases also have ID in that position. For example some STD cases have several characters there which are an abbreviated version of their main ID number. Anyway, a photo of that area would be a good idea. Close-ups of the entire both sides of your cases may also help because I can’t tell a lot from your other pictures.

Re the heads, in your other photos the 66 looks like it is near the spark plug hole and it is probably part of a casting number. Front heads had 05 66 and rear heads had 07 66. These were introduced for 1966 models and they remained in use for some time.

On top of each head on the R-H side you may find date codes indicating the month and year the heads were cast. For example 4 75 would indicate April 1975. These codes are normally near the reliefs for the pushrod tubes but may be hard to spot so look closely.

Do I see a marking on the base of your front cylinder? If so what is it? In your other pictures it looks like one cylinder has casting number 16568-66? Can you confirm please.
The other cylinder may have casting number 16587-66? If so can you confirm. And what other markings does it have? Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the forum. Why do you think it’s a 1980 80”? Do you have paperwork for the engine? If so what does it say? Some engines have a state-assigned number for one reason or another but often they contain at least one letter to identify the state concerned. Often but not always.

As Andy mentioned, those are not pre-70s numbers. Your R-H case is 70 or later if H-D or it could be AM. Did you remove the paint from the front of the case and if so what did you find? Photo?

And did you look for numbers under the cases? H-D Shovel cases usually have crankcase production numbers (CPNs) under both halves for 1974 and earlier. As of 1975 models the left case still had its CPN underneath but the R-H case had it inside the gear compartment.

Also about 1975 H-D began stamping extra ID on each case. For example A123. Some left cases have it near the CPN but most have it at the back. R-H cases usually have it at the back, just inboard of the oil pump.

Anything stamped on top of the cases near the rear mounting bolts? Depending on engine model and year some H-D Shovel cases have Hs or 7s. Photo?
Some AM cases also have ID in that position. For example some STD cases have several characters there which are an abbreviated version of their main ID number. Anyway, a photo of that area would be a good idea. Close-ups of the entire both sides of your cases may also help because I can’t tell a lot from your other pictures.
I have an "H" close to the rear left case mounting bolt
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1385.jpg

Re the heads, in your other photos the 66 looks like it is near the spark plug hole and it is probably part of a casting number. Front heads had 05 66 and rear heads had 07 66. These were introduced for 1966 models and they remained in use for some time.

On top of each head on the R-H side you may find date codes indicating the month and year the heads were cast. For example 4 75 would indicate April 1975. These codes are normally near the reliefs for the pushrod tubes but may be hard to spot so look closely.

Do I see a marking on the base of your front cylinder? If so what is it? In your other pictures it looks like one cylinder has casting number 16568-66? Can you confirm please.
The other cylinder may have casting number 16587-66? If so can you confirm. And what other markings does it have? Thanks.
Eric
Thanks for your reply Eric, very good info, I will post more pics in a bit

I have an "H" close to the rear left case mounting bolt
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1385.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts