Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this incessant need to carry things with me when I ride(particularly tools). I also like riding with a jacket in the morning when it's cooler(and like the extra protection with tired morning drivers), but go jacketless home in the afternoon. So saddlebags are a necessity for me. Right now I'm running AMF hardbags on my '77 FL. I'm thinging of doing my bike up like the FLHs shown in the Shovel post, but I want to keep my bags. Is there any way I can both ride in style and keep the bags? Any insparational pics?

·
Registered
411 Posts
on the real...i kinda like the halfbag Jammer offers for like 100 bucks.dont look too bad.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
man, i REALLY do like taht bag, makes me wanna get one so i can FINALLY carry tools, plugs, condensors and all with me...

any pics of em on a bike like a full shot??? anyone rnunin em?

$105 or whatever aint so bad

·
Registered
726 Posts
51rat said:
man, i REALLY do like taht bag, makes me wanna get one so i can FINALLY carry tools, plugs, condensors and all with me...

Not hardly big enough to carry a nutsack, let alone a jacket. should work fine for tools. They are cool though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It just depends on the look your after. If you use your bike as a daily ride rather than a bar hopper, bags are hard to due without. I strip my bike in the winter use a handle bar pouch, And use the bags in durring the riding season as you really can't do much serious riding without your Stuff.. The two biggest mistakes are bags too big or too small. Iv'e had these Big Berthas for a long time and tend to bring everything including the kitchen sink on trips. I tried to use much smaller bags a while back and had a hard time figureing out what Stuff stays and what gets left behind.. The black Rat is from around 96 and the Red/White one is the same bike now. The chopper is the winter Rat.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
I really like the old fiberglass hard bags. Not the squared off ones, but the rounded ones. On a nostalgic FLH they look cool. I'm not a huge fan of leather bags, but they are practical. I love the jammer bag. Perfect for your paperwork, some small tools and minor spares. Sorry, no pics of anything special. Of course you could always go hardcore and just bungess your jacked to your bars.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
i dont know about cool but I ran a set of these on my kz1000 cop killer

man I miss that bike...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Tom. The other Shovel Head behind mine was using a set of ammo boxes like you used. My only beef with the Big Berthas is that they have 1/8" x 2" flat stock stiffiner around the top inside of the bags to hold the shape. As the bags shrink over the years you have to cut down the stiffiner or the bags will rip the seams out. I also ran Fishtails that ended under the bags and burned the bottom out of the bag.

·
Registered
140 Posts
51rat said:

Aren't they on antibilly's bike - "sunday ride pic" thread

·
Registered
825 Posts
I did anything that helps you REALLY ride......I mean if you are travelling solo you NEED some extra shit in bags.....

I almost bought some vintage fiberglass bags at a swap and have been kicking myself ever since......

I was using this cool old purse that was made in Hunstville prison, all western tooled, but it fell apart.....as did the old cavalry bags that i found in our barn in So. Dak......

In short bags=rider

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you dont want to put bags on, does anyone just put all that shit in a backpack?

*sounds kinda retarded but still....*

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Bugman said:
I have this incessant need to carry things with me when I ride(particularly tools). I also like riding with a jacket in the morning when it's cooler(and like the extra protection with tired morning drivers), but go jacketless home in the afternoon. So saddlebags are a necessity for me. Right now I'm running AMF hardbags on my '77 FL. I'm thinging of doing my bike up like the FLHs shown in the Shovel post, but I want to keep my bags. Is there any way I can both ride in style and keep the bags? Any insparational pics?
No, you can't ride in style with saddlebags. Put your stuff in a bag and bungee it over the headlight.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts