Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a leafspring front end for my bike.The rockers will be out front like on a springer.I was thinking of pressing a sealed bearing in the rocker where it will bolt up to the pivot point.Will a sealed bearing hold up to side loads, like when the bike is leaning into a corner?Not knowing much about bearings I thought I'd better ask beofe I went & did it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
yes you can but the bore for a sealed bearing becomes kinda big. to keep it clean and slim use a bronze oil light bushing and hardened shoulder bolt. mc master carr sells every thing you need, they even have sealed bearings with a wider inner bearing race to make it nice and easy.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Like Slag says, a bushing will work much better and easier. The sealed bearings certainly can take the side load. This Y****a front wheel was on my sidecar racer with sealed ball bearings (as opposed to the Timken style) and held up to enormous side loads. Everything else broke from the side loads, but not the wheel bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.