Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or have someone do it?
Ironhead Sportster....I have the 18" rear 40 spoke and 19" front 40 spoke on there now and they're in sad shape.
I got these 16x3 40 spoke Harley rims at a swap meet today...wondering if I could have my rear drum and front single disk hubs laced into them?

I can get closer/more pics if I need...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yes and sorta. On the rear, you can lace one of those rims to your hub, and you can even use the spokes from the 16" wheel to do it. Just unlace them rather than cut them. On the front, if you have a narrowglide, that rim and tire will not fit into your forks. If you have a wide glide conversion using your narrowglide hub, it will work but you'll need a custom set of spokes. If you have a 41 mm wide front end on your bike, along with the hub that matches your forks, then you can do it and again, use the spokes from the new 16" wheels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have said I knew at least that it won't fit in my stock narrow front end...which is about where my wheel knowledge ends. My plan is to go with either a wide glide front end or a Springer that would accompany the wheel/tire combo.
Cool- I can do my rear now at least.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Make sure your 16" tyre fits inside your rear fender. I'm going from 16" to 18" on my Ironhead, as the 16" rubs on the sides....besides, I prefer the look of the 18" on my swingarm.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you thought about just using the 16 with the hub that is on it and convert to disk in the rear? Not sure what year bike you have just thought it might be an option. You might have to get the rims rear drilled depending on the angle of the spokes to your old hubs but not sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you thought about just using the 16 with the hub that is on it and convert to disk in the rear? Not sure what year bike you have just thought it might be an option. You might have to get the rims rear drilled depending on the angle of the spokes to your old hubs but not sure.
it's a '78 xlcr motor in a '73 xlh frame. I thought about switching to a disk in the rear, it would actually solve a lot of other little problems I have, like the rear brake rod, etc..
I know I would need the rotor, MC and mount a caliper in the rear...and I'm sure it's been done a lot of times; I'll have to look into it and see which is easier/better to go with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.