Jockey Journal Forum banner

can I eliminate the battery?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  c.o. 
#1 ·
Another noob question...My 74 ss 350 sprint has a starter but could care less if I used it or not.It has an alternator instead of a gen.So I know with a genny you can get an eliminator kit bit is there anyway to do it woth the set up I have?Trying to get the bike down to bare bones&really dont want a huge battery in it.Sorry if the question is stupid just starting off here.Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
do you have a magneto for spark ?
if you dont have a mag you are going to need something to give power to the coil for spark

if you do have a mag then yes you dont need a battery with an alternator
you can run the battery eliminator capacitor piece that accel makes so your lights dont flicker when the bike is running through the rpm range

#8 ·
#5 ·
look at yuasa batteries
they make some small batteries for kick only bikes
just keep in mind that those small batteries will not turn your starter over at all

drag specialties sells a small sized starter that has enough juice to turn a starter over and is not gigantic either

#9 ·
If you really want a small battery, you might look at something like an Interstate BSL 1005 -- they come on reproduction Whizzers (don't ask how I know). I don't know if your charging system will fry them or not.
Larry T

#13 ·
Has never bothered mine any, the exhaust isnt as close as it looks, and its wrapped now. That battery is in the same place a starter motor would be, it doesnt get that hot there.

#14 ·
With an alternator, all you need is a solid state regulator (tympanium, etc) and a big capacitor. No battery needed...and the lights will flicker at idle, and kickstarting it will be a problem if you try to start it with the headlight on. I use this system on all my kicker bikes. On magneto bikes, you only need the typmanium and can skip the capacitor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.