1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
yard man said:
are they a distributor or magneto?
Are they any good?
Do they still make them?
The name was Blu-Arc. They were made in San Andres, CA in the middle '80's, and they were designed by Don Hollingsworth and Tom Sifton. Sifton must have been in his 80's when he worked on those.

Anyways, they were a distributor, not a magnito ignition. They were mainly designed to run in XR's, but Hollingsworth eventually made applications for all the generator BT's as well as Sportys and 45's.

They were a single fire distributor (with points) and an Indian-type Autolite distributor cap. One of the big improvements over the regular OEM H-D distributor (other than single fire) was the distributor shaft ran in needle bearings in a machined housing. Very accurate to time, and keep timed. They are a very good, solid ignition system.

No, they aren't made anymore, and haven't been for about 15 years. I have heard somebody is repopping them in Europe, but I've never seen any.

The last one I saw is on ChopperDave's blue Pan, and he got it from Pat Leahy at High Gear Machine, in Long Beach. Where Pat got it from, I don't know, probably out of a dark corner in his shop, no doubt.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
I have been searching all over the net....Is anyone repopping these or the POOL's...?

Yes, I know it's a really old thread.

What I really want to know is dimensionally can one use an Indian cap and rotor(or the autolite versions) on the Harley timer? Will they fit the diameter? I know I'll have to fashion the hold down clips and a rotor drive thingy..

·
Registered
336 Posts
here i'm guys, i did a long search about the Blu arc and i have one in the hands but it's for WL and sporty, and missing the point inside, but are easy to find maybe a chevy 6 cyl will works, i'm thinking to reproduce them in the next months ,i'm busy with some project...... ,i had a call with some indian expert and you can mount the indian distributor on harley but Indians have 42 degrees between the cylinders, harleys 45. The rotors are 27mm in diameter, so one degree is around 0,2mm on the circumference. Meaning that you will have to make the holes for the magnets with an accuracy of something like 0,2mm for it to make sense.
with what i have in the hands, maybe i will be ready soon. with one for sporty and WL, but i have to study the big twin model because the rotor lenght is different.
I had one for big twin on my knuck and it's easy and work very well ,now the engine and blu-arc are in a friends bike, i can ask him to make some check for me.... :)
keep in touch and i will let you know

·
Registered
838 Posts
I got a couple of pool tops but no rotors. Not sure if it is the same as an Indian. Got a sure start and it has a small gizmo that is soldered to the top of the points lobe for the rotor to mount to. The pool spark plug wires come out the top, and the sure start come out the side. If the indian degree was a problem, couldn't a guy turn down the indian points cam round, wack off the harley one, bore it out and press, solder it on the indian one?

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
I was thinking of a wedge fit with a center Allen bolt thingy. Tightens in and locks it self as the bolt is tightened. I think that's what was used before to adapt the rotor.

I'll think on this some more.

In all honesty I am looking into this for a friend who is on here, but I am also thinking of modding a setup for a cone. Might be stupid, but it would be different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts