Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
hogluvr said:
OK, here we go again. I was told these were off a K-model, I have seen similar-type forks that were actually newer Sporty. Can anyone set me straight??
K, and on thru the early XL and very first FX, they have steel sliders & smaller (33.5 mm ?) legs than later "narrowglide" jap-origin Sporty forks; and used the full-width drum-brake hub wheel. up till maybe '70, '71; not sure the cut-off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't think there are any differences from the k model to the sporty and early FX like dragon was saying. They are 33.5 legs. 71 was the cut off year for the FX. Not sure about the sporty, but I would assume the same year. I have extra tree's for that front end I think. Maybe it's just the bottom tree. I can check if you need them. But they're 7/8's pin, the 1" pin was on the FX for 70-71. I've got the same front end on my BSA and also had one on my Pre-Unit. Both times I was able to find the FX triple trees because a lot of guys switched them out to something else, probably wide glides...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looks to me like it's not drum brake 66-70 sporty.There should be fender mounts on those forks at the bottom.They angle to meet the fender braces.Almost looks british to me.The tree might be early sporty.Notice the bolts on the outside,That could be for the nacelle or fork tin on the real old (59+) sportys' front end.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
ya got me there Frosty, I had forgotten about that lower mount tab front & back -

have both styles here, & it's just strap steel welded on, I just didnt click on which was K & which early XL. they are the same slider, brake anchor, & tubes tho.

Voneville I dropped you a pm, I just did sell a set like these pictured, along with the stock wheel (def HD, a drop-center 19" on full drum), and I'm thinking that cat still needs trees.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
my guy will need the 7/8. think were the same legs, just different stem like in later narrowglide FX/XL forks.

found a pic, tho it's hard to see, of the other style Frosty mentioned with the tabs down low on the sliders, & same brake lug - early sliders is all that's stock on this'un.

wish I still had this one.

**edit** notice the legs are flopped left/right by the brake lug postion & the Superglide pic above.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dragon said:
Voneville I dropped you a pm, I just did sell a set like these pictured, along with the stock wheel (def HD, a drop-center 19" on full drum), and I'm thinking that cat still needs trees.
Got your PM, I'll go check on my stash and see what I got. I'm pretty sure I only have the bottom tree. I bought the FXR lower tree and swapped them out. Cool flathead btw.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why I think these aren't K/early Sporty sliders, I'm pretty sure they didn't have those mounting tabs up high on the sliders, can't find a good close-up pic of a K-model front end to confirm it though. I'm pretty sure this is what you guys are saying also??

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I love a challenge -

ok, I stayed with the image search and went year-by-year all the way forward from the above KHK, closely studying the factory pix & stock machines .

and it seems the bottom-mounted fork braces carried thru the K's And then all the early XL's thru '69.

now I believe yes it's still the same slider, but they switched to the upper mount strap same as the FX, in '70; when the FX came out.

a '70 - note the boat-tail :

and a '71

if I had money I'd get stock in google.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts