Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here gotten a title in cal. for a bike with a homebuilt frame? I'm talking about an honest title, no # transfering, just building a frame and using a clear numbered motor. According to the dmv website it should be a piece of cake, but has any one actually done it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
B + M said:
Has anybody here gotten a title in cal. for a bike with a homebuilt frame? I'm talking about an honest title, no # transfering, just building a frame and using a clear numbered motor. According to the dmv website it should be a piece of cake, but has any one actually done it?
It all depends on the mill. Aftermarket? HD? It's not a piece of cake even with all receipts & MSO's. First let me know what type of engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TP Cycles said:
It all depends on the mill. Aftermarket? HD? It's not a piece of cake even with all receipts & MSO's. First let me know what type of engine.
Its a 1959 triumph pre unit. I have the original frame and a bill of sale. But I have no title, so I figured its be just as easy to title my new frame as it would to do the old one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
B + M said:
Its a 1959 triumph pre unit. I have the original frame and a bill of sale. But I have no title, so I figured its be just as easy to title my new frame as it would to do the old one.
1959 would have matching numbers for frame and motor, so the bike will not be titled as a 1959 Triumph but as a "Special Construction" , if you use a handmade or aftermarket frame. The frame will be blue tagged by the CHP VIN officer and the title will contain both the triumph engine S/N and the blue tag number. I have a friend who is a VIN officer and most know their shit about correct frames, mostly Harleys, but a lot have been educating themselves about British bikes. I've used a Title service many times, on vintage bikes, to expedite the process, but California is really starting to scrutinize the paperwork so not sure if I recommend this. I would just play it straight, Call or visit the DMV anb see what they require. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to dmv this week to find out whats up. My new frame doesn't have a neck yet, so maybe I'll be grafting in the stock neck with the original #'s. The frame I built is pretty much an exact copy of the original, except I got rid of the bolt on hardtail, made it all one piece. thanks for your advise.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top