Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a high, mid-control foot clutch. I'll post a pic when I get back out to the garage.

My question is - what's the deciding factor on rod vs. cable for a foot clutch? I have a pretty straight shot to the clutch arm and could use a rod, but I think they look not as clean as a cable. I can also switch over to a shorty clutch arm and use a cable.

The only thing I can think of as a benefit either way is that a cable equals the risk of breaking.

Is there some logic around how you choose. Seems like most foot clutches use a rod...anyone have any insight as to why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc -

Can I see a pic of how you tie the linkage to the clutch rod? Is there a pivot on the front of the trans? It looks like that setup would be pulling the arm down. They look great though.

Here's the test piece I was making. I have a straight shot to the arm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use the Fab Kevin foot clutch cable on my '68 and feel like it gives me a much longer sweet spot. I also have a rod (actually a welded chain) on my cone shovel that works just fine but a much shorter sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Doc -

Can I see a pic of how you tie the linkage to the clutch rod?
Ah, okay. Take a look where the rod meets the arm; I made a tube that slides over the clutch arm (rosette welded) with that teardrop shape on the end. Bolt goes through to the rod (threaded end with a hole in it).

I see what you're saying, the geometry looks funny...but the bend in the arm makes it all work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.