Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying one of 2 engines over the weekend and I'd like to make sure the numbers are legal? Anyone else ever do it? Where do you go? Who do you call? Police? Title office? BMV? Im in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
always run the numers!! even if it is just a call to the po po or state patrol run them!! Save yourself a world of hassels when you are all of a sudden faced with the reality of owning stolen shit even though you did not steal it. Most cop and courts call that receiving stolen goods and figure you are a fence for the actual theives.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I thought I may have been asking a dumb question, and I'm glad I got an affirmative reply.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Be aware also that your state has a reputation as one of the toughest to get missing or screwy paperwork taken care of!
Robbie

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be aware also that your state has a reputation as one of the toughest to get missing or screwy paperwork taken care of!
Robbie
I bought my Cadillac from Georgia and it was a nightmare to title, since they don't title cars over like 25 yrs old, That's probably why I am so cautious

·
Registered
207 Posts
PKOON, I tried that site once as well as another and it required a 17 digit VIN (national standard since 1980). Here in NJ a cop won't run a VIN # check, they don't want to be involved if it comes back hot so it's a little tough to do in NJ unless it has a 17 digit VIN.

Mutt

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just called to get a VIN checked at the local PD. You just need to get approval from an officer and then they will run the number for you.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, it will probably be easier to do it in person.

They didn't ask any questions, seem concerned or act like it was a hassle.

·
Registered
515 Posts
NY wont do it for you.
the plolice and the dmv say its not there job. I even called the special dept that impouned my shovel (for bad numbers) and was told flat out, that they cant check #s. I asked how can I buy something and be sure Ill be OK?
his reply< only buy from someone you trust>

jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
With HD you can call the factory. They have a *surprising* amount of info on their bikes numbers. For example, I have a 70's shovel with title that I called on just for kicks. Found out that it had been reported stolen and partially recovered at some point.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With HD you can call the factory. They have a *surprising* amount of info on their bikes numbers. For example, I have a 70's shovel with title that I called on just for kicks. Found out that it had been reported stolen and partially recovered at some point.
Good to know, thanks.

Mutt

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
NY wont do it for you.
the plolice and the dmv say its not there job. I even called the special dept that impouned my shovel (for bad numbers) and was told flat out, that they cant check #s. I asked how can I buy something and be sure Ill be OK?
his reply< only buy from someone you trust>

jeff
That depends on where your at in ny I guess. They will register just about anything pre 73

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have called city, state, as well as county, & was told have to bring item in for them to run a check, that way if they are stolen they can confiscate them. the same about guns, they have to see the item in person before they will check, but there is no way to protect yourself from buying something that may have been stolen, & the police refuse to allow people the information to protect themselves.

maybe it is just the sorry comonwealth state of VA? or the local area?

1 guy I was trying to deal with a few years ago was willing to give a bill of sale, he flat out refused to take to police to do a number check. I have tried a few times calling in my life & got same answers, "Bring Item In".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts