Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**PICS NOW** Buying a motorcycle with an out-of-state title.

I've never bought a vehicle with a title from out of state before. Besides the usual rude people, is there anything I should do/not do, bring/not bring, or say/not say?

Particularly, a NY title, I bought the bike here in FL, from a NY owner. He signed off on the NY title, NY is one of those states that doesn't need a notary to do this, and he left it blank for me to fill out. The bike is a '76.

FL does not require a notary either.

Do they treat it as if it's a FL title and register it in my name and send me a FL title? Or do I just get a FL registration?

I'm probably making a mistake trying to accomplish getting the bike registered during my lunch hour tomorrow, but I'm achin' to go for a ride dammit!

·
Registered
897 Posts
With it being an out of state title you might need a police check.Not a big deal, they just check the #'s to make sure they match the title.Call the DMV,they should be able to answer questions of how to get a title in your state.When you go to register title or show to police (if you have to) make sure the NY title is filled out all the way.In my state they charge 6% of selling price for excise tax.It is stated on title how much you paid.You'd be surprised of the cool bikes that go for $100 around here LOL.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I don't think it should be a problem. Just make sure the NY title is filled out on the back. I know here you just need the title or registration if the state doesn't have titles for the particular year - they treat it just like an in state title.

See if you can find the Florida DMV website - it ought to help you out a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dragon is correct. Very easy. You get the inspection form from DMV. You can take the bike in or have a cop sign off at your house. I have a motorcop down the street who signed off on the last 2 bikes I have gotten from out of state. Just in the last year. Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dragon said:
...also, that it Doesnt have to be a cop, he could take the bike in a truck to the bank or wherever he knows a notary, then point at the neck & recite the number while they look at the paper & say (in Boomhower's voice ) .. yep ..
I have a friend who will "lend" me a plate for an hour (I'll take back roads, it's from the same size and make) to get the bike from my Dad's house to my house, which is 1 block from the Largo Police Dept.... I can walk it there so I have easier access to a cop than most. I just need the form for them to fill out stating the VINs match.

Can somebody tell me the name of the form or the form number?

Is this it?
Form # 82040
APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF TITLE WITH/WITHOUT REGISTRATION​

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Antibilly said:
Form # Hsmv 82042
Thanks Mike, Dragon...

Form 82042 and the cops are the easiest, and I'm always the first one to do the easiest.:D

I can get it filled out tonight and get me a legal tag tomorrow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Caught some luck and a Notary at work stamped my paperwork, caught the tag office just before closing and got the plates, then, in something completely unheard of, they gave me a new plate and sticker for my trailer afted I fucked up and put a new sticker on an old plate FOR FREE!!! Yup FREE!!! The tax collectors office gave me something for FREE!!! Everything went as smooth as bean burrito shits. Thanks everyone!

Of couse that run of luck ended just as quickly after I put the plates on the bike turned the key and the battery took a shit. Got a new one and I'm charging it overnight and I'll try again tomorrow...

I hope it isn't a chonic battery eater, the one I replaced was supposeedly replaced last week and it looked new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after a hiccup or two, I drove her home (about 6 miles). I had to switch to the reserve, but after that, she ran nice.

I think I left the key in the "parK" position for oohh, about 5 days. Since the bike was outside in the bright sun, I didn't notice the taillight was on the whole time, killing the new battery. All is well now, newer new battery is holding it's charge. Here's a few shitty flash pics. It needs some detailing and freshing; bronze wool and wax the chrome, a chain and sprockets, some detal paint, and I can't get it into neutral when it's running.

It's got a 4 into 1 of unknown orgin, but that's all that isn't bone stock for the last 20K miles and 30 years. I don't know what the bungee cord does just yet. Valves haven't even been adjusted since at least 1997 and it still runs good.

I don't think I did too bad.
http://www.knology.net/~mdandmc/HAMB/MyCB7502.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.