Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i am looking at two sportsters

one is a 2000 883 with a few mods, 10k miles, guy wants $3400 and the reg fees are a little past due.

other is a 2001 1200 with pipes, seems to be a bit cleaner, guy seems like he really took care of it, hardly rode 1000miles in 6years. that bike has about 7k miles on it. he is asking $4250 and tags are currents

tell me which you would choose and why, im new to harleys and just want a few opinions, dont really plan on hardtailing it but who knows.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: buying a bike, which one???

buy the 1200. the price difference is less than the upgrade to 1200 is going to cost you on the 883 and you're going to want it not long after buying the 883

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

well i have read that the upgrade is only like $600-$700 and its ends up being a bit quicker due to gear ratios.

on another note, how are those prices???, just ball park obviously, not being able to see the bikes.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

Are they both base model bikes? Custom, Sport, Low etc etc? The 883 isnt that much slower out of the box. If its slightly ratty talk him down. Look on eBay for price comparisons etc. Either will be great intro Harleys that are relatively bullet proof. For my $$, if all being equal I'd buy the 883 and keep the $800, get a weld on hard tail and get it fitted. Or use the $800 to buy a frame and start pieceing together a big twin whilst trashing around on the 883.

This is what is happening with my sporty but is a flyrite frame.... all work done by TEACH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yeah i dont think i get the 1200 down much lower, already got him down from $4500. the one for $3400 i have a feeling i could get it for $3k

·
Registered
788 Posts

Can you wrench? have you wrenched? If not itll cost more to do anything with.

I had a 2000 883 and did a lot of work to it but i also hopped it up to 1200.

I also had a 1998 1200 and did less work on the motor and more on the rest.

Needless to say I liked the 1200 way more and the 883 was never anything special, just way more parts. But I am also a certified harley tech. So i saved about $1500 on the 1200 and $3000 on the 883 with labor costs and it was done right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yeah i can wrench, i have never worked on a harley but i rebuilt my xs650 from the ground up, including motor, with zero previous experience and i have been wrenching on cars for years. i am really good at reading forums and figuring out how to do things my own.

·
Registered
935 Posts

get the 1200 and punch it up ,or add money and get a big bike to begin with,its not about saving money its a bike

·
Registered
689 Posts

do you plan on riding 2 up? How big are you? if you are chopping it and riding solo, you can save cash, buy the 883, and build what you want. If you are gonna haul the lady around too, you might want some more cubes. I would go with your gut, but also remember not to cheap out if the 883 is kind of ragged out, because that will cost you more in the long run. The prices seem about right. just my rambling thoughts.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Ok, i know for a FACT that you can get clean 1200s with lower miles for around $3000 in socal. You just have to look and be ready when you find one!
My friend got an insanely clean '93 1200 with 8k miles on it from an HD dealer that was just serviced for $3100 out the door.
Just keep looking, but buy a 1200 for the same price as that 883 and save yourself the work!
Seriously.

·
Registered
788 Posts

If you can turn a wrench and read, imvest in a manual.

·
Registered
788 Posts

And INVEST too lol!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

im 6'3" 190lbs, probably wont be riding 2 up, would probably keep it as is for a bit then maybe hardtail it. but i also have an xs650 i can chop up, wouldnt mind have something comfortable for longer rides.

thats a killer deal on that 93 from the dealer. anything i have seen at a dealer is over $6k

·
Registered
815 Posts

This is what is happening with my sporty but is a flyrite frame.... all work done by TEACH
Not to hijack, but what rake is that frame? Looks sexy.

I vote either buy the 1200, or look for a cheaper 1200. You'll probably want it eventually. The price isn't bad, it's not high, but it isn't a killer deal, either.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

im 6'3" 190lbs,
Maybe look for a shovel, them sporties are NOT big bikes and if you want comfort on a long ride..... Have been seeing quite a few nice ones at $5K+ in Cali. Might be worth getting your $ together, sell the yammie and anything else you have that you dont need.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts