Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have a catalog from this company ? I have seen the springers,,but never in ads, Have seen the crazy tanks and fenders as well. Anyone have any ads for the springers ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found out the springer I have is a Butts Mfg a while back and have been searching fruitlessly for info about them. Seems the little bit here on the JJ is all that's out there.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they made handlebars, Fiberglass body parts and tanks. Just have not really seen many, I know they were around in 68 and think they were done in the early 70's.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My Memory ain't that great but I think I remember that Butts logo on a Bakersfield, Calif. storefront in the early nineties. Maybe somebody from up there can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome C Butts! I just read your profile and I see that Butts Mfg was your dads company. I have one of his springers on my bike that I rechromed a couple years ago...love it!
As someone posted before there is very little info that turns up in searches, so anything u have would be outstanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
calgbob, glad your enjoying your Butts springer, Dad would be smilin! Got a couple here that need to be rechromed also. Do you have any pictures of your bike?

Soulfur, OMG, wow thats great to hear theres still an interest and a nice following. Got lots of stuff on paper, a few parts. Have been putting out feelers for years, guess I hit the jackpot here! Time to figure out how to share the history. Thanks for making my day!

·
Registered
119 Posts
calgbob, glad your enjoying your Butts springer, Dad would be smilin! Got a couple here that need to be rechromed also. Do you have any pictures of your bike?

Soulfur, OMG, wow thats great to hear theres still an interest and a nice following. Got lots of stuff on paper, a few parts. Have been putting out feelers for years, guess I hit the jackpot here! Time to figure out how to share the history. Thanks for making my day!
Hey Butts, the JJ is a place where knowledge, experience and stories such as yours are greatly appreciated.
Other greatly appreciated threads are Takehikes' one on AEE and Kayjohn's on Denvers Choppers (featuring family members and former employees chipping in). Those threads, and hopefully yours too, make the best source for knowledge and insight into true chopper history.
Welcome aboard and we hope you'll enjoy it here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Uuh thanks for the info. am working on pulling things together.

In the mean time, this is how the story started for Dad. When he got out of the Army, he purchased a 1954 Corvette with money he had saved. This was the second year they were in production. At that time the only other Corvette in Bakersfield was owned by the major. Dad had a lot of great memories with that car he called Sam. Money was tight back then, so when Dad ended up wrecking Sam he didnt have the means to have it repaired. Good for him, because it ended up being how it all got started in the back yard garage at his Mom house. As they say, "Necessity is the Mother of invention."

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm definitely interested in the story. Always like to know as much about anything I have as I can find. I've had my Butts springer for almost two years now and haven't done anything with it yet. It needs rebuilt (springs, re-chrome) and I just don't have the time or tools to fabricate what I need for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I happen to own a polyester Butts sportster tank and woud love to know a little more about it!
It's a silver metal flake one, which was covered with a green candy by a local painter over here (some years ago).

Do you have any idea when these tanks were manufactured? And how many were manufactured? A scan of an original ad would also be great.

Tnx!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts