Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Sporty up to the strip again last night. Starting to get the hang of this. Still running 13.3's, but am seeing a pretty good 60' time...1.9's and 2.0's. Got the thing launching hard...pulled a couple of 12" or so wheelies off the line. If I can get my 1/8 mi times down by a few tenths of second, I think I can get this bike running 13.0's or maybe even high 12's. Will try again next week. Man, this is fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
If yer running 13.3's very consistantly, maybe ya should hit the bracket for a few paydays.

Have you thought of getting a 1/4 turn throttle? May help a little on the times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
im not sure how the HD clutch is but I only use two fingers on the clutch on my speed triple, which only lets you pull the lever in 2/3's which is just enough to let it shift. it really helped me bang through the gears at the track a lot faster.

good to hear someone is out there beating on thier harley where most guys just sit around & polish thiers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
If what you are after is et's the way you stage the bike can and will change the et and mph.To help lower the et roll in and turn top bulb on,then as you start to roll in more to stage barely put the bike in the second beam.for instance the bottom stage bulb should flicker on and off get it in so you are barely in the second beam and it lights constantly.This will give the bike more roll out which let the bike have more momentum before starting the clocks.Also if ya do go bracket racing this will insure that the bike is in the lights the same everytime and will help with reaction times once you start seeing the bulb the same time.If you roll in and dont pay attention to how you stage your et's,mph and reaction times can vary quite a bit.

Also with a bike you have to watch bringing the RRR's up on the line unless you can hold the frt brake a tad because most bikes will start to push thru the clutch and this can also make you roll in deeper or in some cases cause you to red light.

Hope this helps.....Now strip some shit off the bike,put a header,line lock,Tethered cutoff switch and go racing.

Remember Bars down,Grip back and Hang on........:D


Shoe


PS where are the pics we love pics.......:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
sojerscraper said:
good to hear someone is out there beating on thier harley where most guys just sit around & polish thiers.
Ha! Reminds me of a time in Nemo SD during Sturgis Bike week. We used a ramp to Jump some picnic tables on our bikes and there were some HD guys from Colorado who did nothing but polish their bikes the entre week. One guy came up to us and said "Your getting dust on our bikes." I told him "bikes are for riding." then my brother and his friend moved the ramp higher and added a picnic table to make the jump longer and kept jumping. I had the dirtiest HD there which I was sorta proud of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
If what you are after is et's the way you stage the bike can and will change the et and mph.To help lower the et roll in and turn top bulb on,then as you start to roll in more to stage barely put the bike in the second beam.for instance the bottom stage bulb should flicker on and off get it in so you are barely in the second beam and it lights constantly.This will give the bike more roll out which let the bike have more momentum before starting the clocks.Also if ya do go bracket racing this will insure that the bike is in the lights the same everytime and will help with reaction times once you start seeing the bulb the same time.If you roll in and dont pay attention to how you stage your et's,mph and reaction times can vary quite a bit.

Also with a bike you have to watch bringing the RRR's up on the line unless you can hold the frt brake a tad because most bikes will start to push thru the clutch and this can also make you roll in deeper or in some cases cause you to red light.

Hope this helps.....Now strip some shit off the bike,put a header,line lock,Tethered cutoff switch and go racing.

Remember Bars down,Grip back and Hang on........:D

Shoe

PS where are the pics we love pics.......:)
This is a good point. I'm going to pay attention to this next time. I actually learned about pushing through the clutch when I red lit twice in a row because of it. Racing on a track isn't as easy as it looks, that's for sure. I'll be happy if I can get to 13.0's or high 12's with the bike the way it is. I think this will mean that I'm riding her well. Once I get to that point, I'll move forward with the performance mods.

I'm trying new things every time I go. Still got a lot of learning to do. Last night I was getting it to stand up when I dumped the clutch. I'm definitely launchnig better, but still not exactly right. I've only done about 15 or so passes. 20 or 30 more and I think I'll have it down a lot better.
 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
Does your bike have a 16 on the rear? If so, I can set you up w/ a place to get a slick for it.

I'm sure you can find a cheap wheel on eBay to put it on if you're afraid of riding it on the street.

Shoot, you're making me want to get back into drag racing. Never did any on a bike, but used to race a '69 Camaro w/ a big block. It was expensive, but fun. Bet that 100 ci Sporty motor from Zippers would get you down the track :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony Bones said:
Does your bike have a 16 on the rear? If so, I can set you up w/ a place to get a slick for it.

I'm sure you can find a cheap wheel on eBay to put it on if you're afraid of riding it on the street.

Shoot, you're making me want to get back into drag racing. Never did any on a bike, but used to race a '69 Camaro w/ a big block. It was expensive, but fun. Bet that 100 ci Sporty motor from Zippers would get you down the track :)
I do run a 16, but will pass on the slick. Thanks for the offer though. My sporty is also my daily commuter, so I want to leave it set up for dual duty - street and strip. Plus, if you run a slick, you have to run a wheelie bar.

I say take your bike out there. It's fun. The hardest, most nerve racking part is staging/launching. I'm sure you have gone faster and been in harrier situations on the road then you will at the track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Been around the strip for awhile heres my current S/ST Dodge Daytona



And A pic of me and brother crow throwin down at the HAMB drags Last year.I am on the rt in the pic on my trump and crow is on Jasons scorcher.

What kind of times do those bikes run?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
you know I believe Ironhorse had a ten second sporty pushing for 9 seconds in the January edition ..very interesting street bike doing the mojo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Ha! Reminds me of a time in Nemo SD during Sturgis Bike week. We used a ramp to Jump some picnic tables on our bikes and there were some HD guys from Colorado who did nothing but polish their bikes the entre week. One guy came up to us and said "Your getting dust on our bikes." I told him "bikes are for riding." then my brother and his friend moved the ramp higher and added a picnic table to make the jump longer and kept jumping. I had the dirtiest HD there which I was sorta proud of.
I remember years ago at Glencoe.....there were some guys on old dusty shovels and the had a ramp and a sign that said, "Evos Can't Jump"

All weekend we watched drunk guys on chome $$$ bikes jump and crash.....a few actually stuck the landing, but most crashed!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Ha! Reminds me of a time in Nemo SD during Sturgis Bike week. We used a ramp to Jump some picnic tables on our bikes and there were some HD guys from Colorado who did nothing but polish their bikes the entre week. One guy came up to us and said "Your getting dust on our bikes." I told him "bikes are for riding." then my brother and his friend moved the ramp higher and added a picnic table to make the jump longer and kept jumping. I had the dirtiest HD there which I was sorta proud of.
SO, you're the ONE!!hehe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
sojerscraper said:
...good to hear someone is out there beating on thier harley where most guys just sit around & polish thiers.
my harley looks like shit all the time 'cause i don't get off of it long enough to wash it...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top