Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics from a show at the Crane Plaza, Toronto 1970 or 71, I remember it like it was yesterday (even though I can't remember what year it was!), made a hell of an impression on me at 18.
This was in Toronto, and note some of the bikes have California plates. Many bikes I recognize from Street Chopper and a few from Big Bike.
Check out the leaf spring front end, literally a leaf spring front end on the white Panhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics...but I'm missing quite a few. There a lot of Ron Finch's display and a few other bikes. If I find them I will post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wild stuff! Sure hope you can find the Finch pix. A friend of mine had a Purple 'flake Triumph done by him somewhere around '69-'71. Beautful bike, I'd love to see some other stuff he did back then.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Wow, cameras have really evolved since then...but you can tell those are some real high end customs, the neck molding and paint is awesome,...my question is where are all those bikes today?

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Interesting to note how people nowadays will do the 30 color flake/scales/scallops/stripes thing on their tank & rear fender like "back in the day", but these guys lavished that level of attention on the entire frame as well...on top of an incredible amount of molding.

Looking at the people there's no "uniform" either; the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads were all righteous motorcycle dudes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I totally agree. Everyone today wants a 70's chop, but no one has the patience to do all that molding, or integrate the paint on the entire bike. Today everyone just latches onto one tiny aspect of whatever someone else did, be it paint jobs or fashion. Everyone is trying to freak out the squares, but no one is freaky if everyone looks the same. It's time for a sweater vest gang, who's down?

Anyway, back on topic, that white pan is incredible, got any more pix of it? Check out the sign that says "These bikes are ridden everyday".

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, that's all the pics for now, I know I have more slides but I can't find them. Did you notice the leaf spring front end on the white Pan?
Not a red rim or white wall to be seen.
Yes, the molding really does make the difference.

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that white Pan was from Great Lakes area (upper new York State?), and the leaf spring front ends were made in the same area.
I think it would make me sea sick.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Interesting to note how people nowadays will do the 30 color flake/scales/scallops/stripes thing on their tank & rear fender like "back in the day", but these guys lavished that level of attention on the entire frame as well...on top of an incredible amount of molding.

Looking at the people there's no "uniform" either; the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads were all righteous motorcycle dudes.
Totally agree with you Dr. and speed&noise. I was considering doing a bit of molding on my next project and seeing these pics is setting me over the top.
Seems like quite a bit of work but I wanted to step up my level of finish. I like how everybody sets up a little "scene" to park their bikes on. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you like molding you have to be willing to redo it every 3 years or so 'cause it cracks. I can't get over the shit we used to do for front ends. Scary dangerous shit. Do wish I had all the drum brake wide glide forks (ah nobody wants this junk!) we tossed in the dumpster. Drugs make ya crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.