Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
satanherself said:
I have seen some of the motors you guys build,I just wondered what do you build "for". Resto,show,to sell,personal toy?
all of those.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
for me that's a bike by bike decision. for example, the last 650 i built was for pleasure, the one i'm building now is for sale and my shovel i'm building is for show and pleasure. when i build for a walkin customer the decision is up to them. why do you ask, grasshopper ?

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lilbill said:
for me that's a bike by bike decision. for example, the last 650 i built was for pleasure, the one i'm building now is for sale and my shovel i'm building is for show and pleasure. when i build for a walkin customer the decision is up to them. why do you ask, grasshopper ?
Just because I have built a few (not near as many as you guys) and was always
told you build and sell.Though I would watch the calander bikers stand around and brag about there motors and and and on,when I knew for fcat who really built it in the first place.I guess it's just being jaded,but I could never build to sell just cause somewhere in the back of my mind would be something chewying at me that some loser,is somewhere taking credit for my work and idea's.Some say "well you gotta lotta $$$ so who cares",,just kinda wondered how others felt,,I dunno I guess I get attached,that it's more about creating a vision than
being in the spotlight or monster big $$$,though I do undersatnd the $$ allows
you to keep building.

·
Registered
385 Posts
satanherself said:
told you build and sell.Though I would watch the calander bikers stand around and brag about there motors and and and on,when I knew for fcat who really built it in the first place.I guess it's just being jaded,but I could never build to sell just cause somewhere in the back of my mind would be something chewying at me that some loser,is somewhere taking credit for my work and idea's.Some say "well you gotta lotta $$$ so who cares",,just kinda wondered how others felt,,I dunno I guess I get attached,that it's more about creating a vision than
you to keep building.
You think that because I didn't build my bike I love it any less? For me...in oreder to even give a rats ass.....I have to know what I want & what I want to see in a bike. Is that far inferior to the cat that built it? I'll agree it's not the same......but what in life is the same?

I've been through this before with my photography....I used to look down my nose at the gallery crowd that would mill over what the image meant & all of the words that they tried to put on an intangible. A very wise friend pulled me aside & said "Hey man, It's a symbiotic relationship.....Some people don't have the time or the balls to dig deep inside & the follow through to actually bring something back from their heart of darkness. When they buy one of your prints & hang it in their house they are connected to you & your journey.....They are forever reminded that they are on this journey with you"........

That squashed any bullshit notion that I had about what I did being SO important & that others paid for what I had created........

Do you grow your own vegetables, slaughter your own cows, grow your own coffee beans.....roast them(you get the point).......well guess what there is somebody somewhere putting their lifes blood into doing that so you can do what you everyday........& how might I ask how you pay for it?

Get it?

tim

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
It's just stuff.......and someday it will belong to somebody else. So I build to please me, and only me. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow, or maybe next week.....or maybe when I die, but someday, it will be in someone elses garage....guaranteed.:D

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tim, I agree...but look at the original post.

Then the poster...then the fact that they have been on here just over a month with over 200 posts...mostly selling stuff.

Those people mostly get ignored by the majority...kinda like internet pilot fish.
Where can I go to see your photography?
G.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
satanherself said:
you to keep building.
You kinda get used to it after awhile. in the last 30 years or so i've lost count of the all the bikes and cars i've built and sold. some i got credit for and some i didn't. one that really sticks in my craw was an outrageous 45 trike that i built for a spoiled rich kid law student in monroe la. back in the early 70's. it was state of the art for 1972, molded frame and body, metalflake and chrome for as far as the eye could see, all kinds of one off and handmade goodies everywhere you looked. anyway it got featured in choppers magazine and that little prick took full credit for everything.
i still put my heart and soul into everything i build and when i sell them i feel like i'm letting one of my children go. i sold my little xs chopper this weekend to a young guy from dallas. he loves the bike and i know it will have a good home. after he left i went back into the shop and worked on my shovel and started designing my next xs in my head. life is a progression and love comes and goes. (your moment of zen) ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
the most important thing is to enjoy the build/show/ride, thats the bit that makes us different. We do it for the love, and not because fashions say so!

I build many bikes, some are to do with my work and the rest are for friends and me, all the bikes I build will at some stage go on to others, if they credit me all the better, if not, well who knows, maybe they have a greater need to impress others than me!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts