Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
4,052 Posts
I see silicon bronze rod in your future...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can,t beat a old sidevalve Beeza for reliabilty, had them for years just sold my 41 WM20 after 18years of ownership, but I gotta a 48 M21 last year of girder/rigids to replace it. Your has the makings of a nice machine but looks like it has had it far share of bodges.. them forks need serious attention, I would make a jig then chop out the rear tubes clean up the castings and fit new rear tubes with slugs into the castings and sweat braze them together.Your gearbox is loose because the large washers on lower fixings are missing, good news is you have the best clutch you can fit to a M20/21 I have had these fitted to all my beeza sidevalves fit & forget.You gonna rebuild it to ex WD spec ? .These bikes can be geared up with more teeth on engine sprocket my old WM20 ran a 21 tooth sprocket and would sit at 60-65 mph all day even fully loaded..see photo

My current YM21

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wow Those are nice TribsaUK !!! I dream mine will look that good... Yes I will make it look as close to 1943 war spec as money will allow. Ive already spent more then the bike might be worth and its not together or running yet :eek:

Thanks for the advice. Note taken on the gear box and gearing up grade.

You not the first person to tell me my forks need work so...

I decided that a good deal on another set of forks was the best solution ...

These should arrive soon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
With the projects list growing and seemingly endless distractions , I am hoping that having a new dedicated workshop will refocus my energy to move forward with them.... .
Its not the large garage I was hoping for but it was free and now I am making it suit my purposes... So far I have replace the rotten paneling and some other wood ... Painted the floor and I will do some form of insulation so I can use it year round... I put in a window so it wouldnt be so dark inside. I did put in lights as well... They were turned on for about an hour then the electric went out and the breaker blows every time I plug in the outlet. so I am back to running an extension cord ... for now at least till I figure out where the short is...

a few weeks later

toolbox’s and benches in place now after ten years being store in a “not so ideal” place .. drawers cleaned and oiled.. next job will be to change out the tools and crap that was in them in exchange for the proper british motorcycle tools .. probably finish the walls up another few feet and square up the doors.. ... then choose a project to start working on..

A few more weeks later

A few years ago I had a metal cabinet that someone gave me strapped to the top of my SUV and forgot it was up there when I pulled into my carport. It was too tall and not only ripped off my roof rack but also bent the cabinet all to hell... Instead of throwing it away I decided to use the metal for workbench tops. The front where the cabinet doors rested turned out to be a perfect fit for the bench I was doing this time. I wanted a backsplash as well so I called everyone within driving distance that might have a metal brake to do one 90 degree bend in this heavy sheet metal. Not one business called me back so I did it myself. The idea to do it myself evolved over drinks one night with friends.... Beer is certainly a confidence booster

Before

After

Any way, progress is being made and then I will start the projects again !!

Then ...

Sunday morning ride with a good friend . There was a nice chill in the morning air.. But there was work to be done..

The honey do list was growing but I was determined to meet my goal of having the shed ready for duty... Getting a bike project onto the bench was my priority....
So after I hung a ceiling fan in the house for the wife and used the Ford 9N with post hole digger to help the wife plant new bushes and all the other projects she had for me that lovely Sunday, I went gung ho on cleaning and tidying the mess I made in the shed...

First project rolled onto the bench and all the spare parts I have for it put on the shelves....

BSA 1943 WM20

And I am back in business....

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
"Envy is too hard a burden." --MLK (I think)

So I'm not envious. Not even a little! Great li'l workshop, glad to see a new accretion to this thread.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the bike warrants a complete teardown. It appears as if it was assembled for the sale. At first glance, the forks appear to be like those sold on Ebay rather then BSA period forks. Anyway, for safety sake, I'd tear it down and reassemble it, correcting any flaws you find. On the plus side, the old SV are pretty robust.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts