Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a buell XB engine in a build? I picked one up from a buddy that races Buell's but the XB doesnt fit in a sporty frame, I found a after market frame but then i have to deal with title hassles here in NJ and i'm not sure its going to be worth the agravation. Just wanted to see if anyones done anything with an XB

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have one. Not an easy task at all. I reworked a Paugcho frame to shove it in. That was the easy part. The hard part is the ignition. I welded in new bosses on the cam cover to fit the ignition properly. If you don't have access to a good set of fab tools it's going to be impossible. You can PM me if you want more info

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I put an XB Buell in a Evo Sportster frame ... made the mounts, not that hard to do ... Joe
I'm in the middle of an XB project at the moment. I'm putting an 06 in a modified 900 swingarm frame. What ignition are you running? I've seen altered ignition cups for sale, do these make the ignition any easier to sort out? I have the intake/carb, tranny sprocket and the vast majority of the other hurdles cleared but I haven't jumped into the ignition research yet.

Any info would be appreciated...sorry to hijack this thread.

G

·
Cool ....

Being from the Old School .... To me when Harley started making those motors.... They was leaving the roots of the Sporties behind.
Guess this was also said in 57 when the OHV took the place of the Fatty...

Although seeing some of these in the hands of skilled people. Must say they have a look that is all their own .... In a Custom way..!!

Shoot... When Harley went to the rubber mount Sporties in 04... My thoughts was.... Why..??? They had the FXR's for good vibs..
Are they nuts..?? Turning the Sporties into a Red Headed Step Child..???
Like some said about the Buell's.....

Long run for the Piglets....1952 was a while back...
Hoping that they have just as long of a production run as the 45" seen or longer.

Times do change...

Very nice work Guys.....
Don't !! ....... Stop !! ....... Don't stop Chopping.....:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is a good thread glad i came across it just got a buell project i have to start/finish subscribed

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use a Daytona Twin Tech nose cone ignition for a Sportster. I cut a new slot in the cam drive end to index the rotor to match the Buell. I recommend the ignition rotor that Dan sells from NRHS Performance. The mounts werent difficult to make but did take a little engineering ... I dont think there is a big market since there are 2 of us so far with XB-s in Sportster frames ... I used it because I race in 1000cc pushrod class at Bonneville and an XB9 is perfect displacement.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'd be interested in sticking a Buell motor into a Sporty chassis. It seems like you could pick up a Sporty chassis on the cheap from someone putting their Sporty motor into a hardtail frame, and used Buells can be had for cheap. It'd be neat to have a sleeper hot rod Sporty. I didn't realize they won't just bolt up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweatmachine you can put a Buell engine in a sporty frame no problem the problem is they change the mounts on the XB and its not as easy. That was my plan buy a cheap titled 883 and shove my race xb 1200 thunderstorm engine in it and i'm off then it got a little complicated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have one. Not an easy task at all. I reworked a Paugcho frame to shove it in. That was the easy part. The hard part is the ignition. I welded in new bosses on the cam cover to fit the ignition properly. If you don't have access to a good set of fab tools it's going to be impossible. You can PM me if you want more info
I bet that little rascal is a blast to ride!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.