Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. on my 71 BSA how many wires should come off the motor itself? besides the spark plug wires. there should be 2 coming out just above the kick-arm from the stater. but mine also has 2 wires coming out the opening on the left side behind the primary drive. i've looked thru 2 manuel and cannot find these wires. the pevious owner installed a boyer unit. maybe he by-passed the altenater and ran it out here?
what is this 2nd pair of wires? they look factory with the colors and the bullet connectors.
help! thanx!

·
Registered
150 Posts
first the two wires coming out behind the kick start are not the stator they are the ign. if it is a boyer then they both go to the coils

the two that come out the primary side are the stator since the stator runs off the crank on the primary side they both go to the regulater(rectifier/diode or podtronics etc.)

beatcad said:
hey guys. on my 71 BSA how many wires should come off the motor itself? besides the spark plug wires. there should be 2 coming out just above the kick-arm from the stater. but mine also has 2 wires coming out the opening on the left side behind the primary drive. i've looked thru 2 manuel and cannot find these wires. the pevious owner installed a boyer unit. maybe he by-passed the altenater and ran it out here?
what is this 2nd pair of wires? they look factory with the colors and the bullet connectors.
help! thanx!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx ,man. wiring really aint my thing. i'm trying to label EVERYTHING during the teardown to get it rite goin' back together. even though i'll be makin' a whole new harness.
thanx again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
no prob

do a search i think youll find most of the answers your lookin for and remember bsa and triumph basically share the same electrical system

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
dankchoppa said:
first the two wires coming out behind the kick start are not the stator they are the ign. if it is a boyer then they both go to the coils

the two that come out the primary side are the stator since the stator runs off the crank on the primary side they both go to the regulater(rectifier/diode or podtronics etc.)
Boyer ign. DON'T GO TO THE COILS from the pickup plate . They go to the Ign. box . Only the black and red go to the coils !

·
Registered
150 Posts
actually you are wrong and i was just giving him a quick example since he is not wireing the bike any time soon. he said he was just rippin it down for a chop attack witch means it will prob. be apart for awhile

and the black and red DONT GO TO THE COILS ONLY one of the two depending if you wire it neg ground or positive ground and depends what

if going neg ground the red wire should go to the coils and the black to ground the black and white and black and yellow go to the pickup plate and the white go to ign. switch

so thanks for pointing out my mistake but atleast if your gonna point out someones mistakes make sure you got it right yourself first:)

Trumpnut said:
Boyer ign. DON'T GO TO THE COILS from the pickup plate . They go to the Ign. box . Only the black and red go to the coils !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
dankchoppa said:
actually you are wrong and i was just giving him a quick example since he is not wireing the bike any time soon. he said he was just rippin it down for a chop attack witch means it will prob. be apart for awhile

and the black and red DONT GO TO THE COILS ONLY one of the two depending if you wire it neg ground or positive ground and depends what

if going neg ground the red wire should go to the coils and the black to ground the black and white and black and yellow go to the pickup plate and the white go to ign. switch

so thanks for pointing out my mistake but atleast if your gonna point out someones mistakes make sure you got it right yourself first:)
BSA never made a - ground bike . All were + ground . So unless you changed the stator its going to be + ground . The main reason for the ! points was so that he wouldn't try it . If he did hook the pick ups up to the coils then energize them the pickups would fry . So calm down guy .

·
Registered
330 Posts
WORD!!!! +ground

Trumpnut said:
BSA never made a - ground bike . All were + ground . So unless you changed the stator its going to be + ground . The main reason for the ! points was so that he wouldn't try it . If he did hook the pick ups up to the coils then energize them the pickups would fry . So calm down guy .

·
Registered
150 Posts
wrong again...bsa never made a -ground bike but you don't have to change the stator to wire one that way
the stator has nothing to do with it being positive ground or negative ground
your bio says your a tech at a jap dealership right? just curious but are you an mmi grad?

and i am calm... i meant that comment in a smart ass way not a f you way

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guysk, thnax for the advice. besides the 2 manuels full of diagrams i also have the boyer installation instuctions ad digram(the prior owner kept EVERTHING). i also have a buddy that's the best when it comes to wiring. so i should be OK. if not i'll be askin' another silly question in a month or 2.
for now i gotta make some motor mounts, a neck gusset, and a couple other things so i can mock it up and than tear it back down for paint. so i dont think i'll be re-wiring it for at least a month.
i'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
dankchoppa said:
wrong again...bsa never made a -ground bike but you don't have to change the stator to wire one that way
the stator has nothing to do with it being positive ground or negative ground
your bio says your a tech at a jap dealership right? just curious but are you an mmi grad?

and i am calm... i meant that comment in a smart ass way not a f you way
Here we go . lets get into electrical "theory" . If you wind the stator the other way you will have more amps . The Stock lucas stator is a delta Wound stator . In 79 When triumph changed to - ground they also changed there stator windings . But we could just keep this thread going on for ever over the fact that the 2 wires off your pickup plate go to the Ign. box . Regardless if it's + or - ground . I didn't say you were stupid just that you confused the points wiring with boyer ign. . As for me being a MMI grad yes I am . Graduated in 96 since I have worked for Yamaha as a R&D tech and For several aftermarket companies doing R&D work . Including Electix USA . Helping design street legal kits for dirt bikes and high output stators for cruiser and so on . But if you want to keep Argueing I guess that will be fine since everbody has there own opnion .

·
Registered
150 Posts
you've got me wrong here...i'm not trying to argue with you

i thought one of the reasons of a mc forum was to discuss mc tech and thats what we are doing. i'm sure that there is plenty of peolple on here that have no clue on electrical, most non mechanics seem to be scared of it, i think discussions like this help everybody learn

believe me i'm not mad that you pointed out a mistake in my wording on here at all and i would not be mad if you pointed out i was wrong on anything because i like to learn anything i can from anybody i can. i think thats what makes the best techs in any mechanical trade is the open minded will to learn

as far as opinions go i think there is things that are opinion and things that are fact. guy comes in to a shop and asks a couple techs what is the best way to set his bike up to go faster and gets three opinions on the best way to go. all three ways may make the bike faster so whitch ones idea of whats best is opinion.

you can wire a brit bike - ground without changing the stator is fact and i think 90% of the people i know with brit bikes do(lucas did'nt do anything right in my OPINION:)the stator makes alt. current and has no care in the world about what happens once the juice hits the regulater. if you use a podtronics it has two yellow wires.....know idea what one is positive or negative...in the paper work it tells you to hook up one wire to each does'nt matter what one. if you have a three wire stator it tells you to twist two together and hook to one and then hook remaining wire to the other...still makes no difference what wire goes were as long as they are hooked up

the regulater then gets hooked to the batt. black to neg. post red to pos. then batt. gets hooked to bike black to frame red to ign. switch or fuse block or whatever. now as long as everything is wired neg wire to ground and pos. wire to hot post off of switch it will be a running neg. ground bike as seen in both of the wire diagrams posted in this thread.

did you go to pheonix campus? and did you have diode or wristbands for electrical? just curious as i graduated from mmi also although i try not to say it to loud......

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I to became very embarrised that I went to MMI since you only have to show up to pass . As for - or + ground I normally make them + ground that way Idiots stay out of there wiring . And when I find a bike with a 3 wire stator I just use a Jap bike Reg/Rec For a 3 wire system . That way by not hooking 2 of the stator wires together you end up with more amps . Anyways This whole thread probaly answer a few guys ? out there .
I just get use to people picking fights on these forums . And I don't think you don't know what your doing . So did you also Go to the pheonix campass ? What year ? I taught there in late 97 for like 3 weeks but hated writing all day and ansering stupid ? that were off topic .

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah went to pheonix campus and finished about a year ago

was a diesel truck tech for about 5 years and an auto body tech for 6 but been playin with bikes since i was a kid so said what the fug go to mmi and see what you can learn, was'nt happy with the school really but did learn some stuff so i guess it was worth it....i don't know?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts