Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I, was ready to put a exhaust mount on my bike tonight and I noticed something weird with my frame. When I got down and looked I realized it was snapped clean through. Explains why my bike has been acting funny around turns.

I want to know if I should expect a replacement? I've only been riding this bike like 3 months. I did some MIG welding to it. Brackets and such, but nothing excessive. It actually broke right next to a cross support that they welded and a brake bracket I welded. I'd like to get some responses from the guy's that know this stuff.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
350 Posts
That would make me suspicious/concerned about the entire setup be it either the tail or the entire frame. The fix would not be too bad depending on flexing in that area etc but I would still be paranoid about the tubing quality of the rest of it. I would suggest taking it to a qualified fabricator in your area to be checked out/repaired if you're not feeling up to it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow that blows. Glad to here nothing bad happened while you were riding. I have nothing to offer in the way of experience, but, I did find a crack in my hardtail at the exact same spot when I was about to weld on a chain tensioner. I decided to get a new, better made hartail for my project since I never liked the one that came with my bike. Seeing this just made me feel a lot better about that decision. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If they are good they should help handle the situation for you. Needless to say it could have hurt you/worse. (knocking on wood) Least the shop could do is help you sort it back out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm no weldin' expert.. but i ran across an old article (actually one from knuclebuster) on welding a bracket such as that one a while back.

couldn't it be a HAZ issue too? maybe a combination.

just a thought.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
..Good question!.... I will be curious about the answer..

back the camera up so we can get a look at the location of that break

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is just a suggestion but .... Maybe get some very thin rubber washers to put between that Master and the frame. Something to absorb some of the vibration. Something seems fishy there. It may seem like nonsense but it IS possible to weaken steel with a weld. Weld is harder than steel so once you weld it, you just made the tubing the weak link. I am not saying it cant be done safely, just pointing out. Is it welded on ONE side or both?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Glad you came out alright. That could've turned out very ugly. Pretty honorable of you not to post the company's name, sure, not everyones perfect, but this mistake could've cost you your life. Then again, there are always defects in every batch of product. Hope they take care of you. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The fact that it broke at the end of a longitudinal weld along the tube is not coincidental. And that's not to say that it was necessarily the weld, although it could be. That bracket placed longitudinally along the tube acts as a stiffener which could inhibit the capability of the tube to flex slightly within the length of the bracket. In that case, it would break where the flex could begin, and that was the end of the bracket.

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. I'm a little freaked out that I think I rode on it for 3 days. I'm really hoping they send me a replacement. If it's bad tubing I don't want to try to fix it. I don't wan tit to break a few inches away. The Master is welded on both sides, but my welder was leaking gas at the time so it's not welded well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For future reference so this doesn't happen again how should I weld a bracket like that on? break the weld up like stated above? Also you can't see it but the cross brace is right there to so that was definitely a point where flex stopped.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If it's bad tubing I don't want to try to fix it. I don't wan tit to break a few inches away.
It's not likely bad tubing. Think about it like this--There's several feet of tubing in that hardtail, so what are the odds that 1/4" of "bad" tubing would be right at the end of a bracket that you welded on? It's related to the weld / bracket.

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hope they take care of you there. Stitch welding would be the best. Short 1/2" welds versus the long continuous for sure. You can jump around side to side skip a half inch and come back to it...take it slow. Also know that tig welding is a better option because you can control the amount of heat and it is not as hard of a weld as a MIG. Bobs got a great point in the flex issue and the bracket not allowing that to happen. Any way you can design the bracket differently so that it only attaches to the frame in a couple small perpendicular points?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Any way you can design the bracket differently so that it only attaches to the frame in a couple small perpendicular points?
Sometimes when I want to add a bracket to a frame, I look at how the factory does it for the same type of bracket. They pay engineers a lot of money to figure out what designs and techniques work. You can learn from them for free.

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can understand that. let me ask you this. How much flex should my hardtail have? cause ever since I first got my hardtail I felt it had more tension to it than it should. Even before I put it on the bike. Like it was forced into shape. An bolting it to my loop was a pain in the ass getting it to line up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.