Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey AJ, how are you mate? and yes it's all true. It's the middle of the night and your miles away from home and your K2F mag has packed up yet again....mmmm happy memories. What I can't understand is why practically the whole British motorcycle industry used Lucas products, not just for a few years but decades!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was just thinking of this same subject. is a fatigued 50 year old lucas wiring harness REALLY more unreliable than a fatigued 50 year old ford harness? there may be some truth to it. but, the only time ive had lucas wiring trouble it turned out to be a Bosh relay.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I here by come to the defence of lucas electrical equipment!

Lucas mags are great as long as they are properly maintained,
and as some hamfisted idiot with little knowledge,has'nt been playing with it! These days with the advent of mica condencers and fresh windings They are pretty good, The trouble is some guy buys a mag from a swap meet or E-Gay, and because the Vendor says it's ok the average Joe gets sucked in fits it and it's still on a forty plus year armature and condencer and wonders why it gives trouble, and the same applies to lucas Dc lighting Equipe is also fine as long as it is yet again maintanined and serviced properly, or a new winding and field coil fitted ,and some Idiot has been ajusting the cvc unit with out knowing how to so!The Ac stuff is also fine the only time the stators play up is either when yer mains are hanging out and the rotor and stator weld up or if yer primary is to slack and cuts yer wires or a crappy home made loom , using the wrong gauge wire with twisted and taped joints or crappy connectors.

I rebuild a good few lucas mags and generators , sent to me from the states, I have done quite a few for J&M Mechanical in Louisville KY and the state of some of them! I could only use the bodys and end plates on em!

"Raising a Toast to you, Joseph Lucas The Prince Of Darkness"

All The best Guys The Baron. ( by the way i'm usless at spelling).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt D said:
Hey AJ, how are you mate? and yes it's all true. It's the middle of the night and your miles away from home and your K2F mag has packed up yet again....mmmm happy memories. What I can't understand is why practically the whole British motorcycle industry used Lucas products, not just for a few years but decades!!
I know there is a list of hardly davidson quotes out there somewhere, life is good on this side of the lake getting ready to take on a few pints right now -

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
if I recall correctly, the old axiom attributed to Joseph Lucas was close to : "A Gentleman does not motor about after dark .."

and as the Baron so eloquently stated, it's not often a fault of the Lucas bits themselves ..

I have run (on a unit TR) the stock Lucas components including points plate assembly, rotor/stator, bridge rectifier/zener diode with minimal all-black runs of wire in between, and all those same bits changed between several different rollers; for 10+ years quite successfully ..

I believe now we are seeing a whole new generation of builder/riders with all these solid-state components, who are experiencing the same sort of function/fit problems - namely trying to run Boyer ignitions with tiny or no batteries .. and blaming the charging system ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Baron said:

I'm with ya on that one Dick.
I had the mag on my BSA rebuilt by Dick after it had been so say done by an expert, had all sorts of problems, some days it would start first kick and run fine other days it wouldn't start and would take me a week to get it going again.
All the sort of things ya hear about Lucus electrics are true, but thats only because they have been badly maintained.
My bike never ran so good, Dick Smith, Lucus Prince of spark!!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The Baron said:

Lucas mags are great as long as they are properly maintained,
and as some hamfisted idiot with little knowledge,has'nt been playing with it! These days with the advent of mica condencers and fresh windings They are pretty good, The trouble is some guy buys a mag from a swap meet or E-Gay, and because the Vendor says it's ok the average Joe gets sucked in fits it and it's still on a forty plus year armature and condencer and wonders why it gives trouble, and the same applies to lucas Dc lighting Equipe is also fine as long as it is yet again maintanined and serviced properly, or a new winding and field coil fitted ,and some Idiot has been ajusting the cvc unit with out knowing how to so!The Ac stuff is also fine the only time the stators play up is either when yer mains are hanging out and the rotor and stator weld up or if yer primary is to slack and cuts yer wires or a crappy home made loom , using the wrong gauge wire with twisted and taped joints or crappy connectors.

I rebuild a good few lucas mags and generators , sent to me from the states, I have done quite a few for J&M Mechanical in Louisville KY and the state of some of them! I could only use the bodys and end plates on em!

"Raising a Toast to you, Joseph Lucas The Prince Of Darkness"

All The best Guys The Baron. ( by the way i'm usless at spelling).
Amen . I'ts not that bad ! every problem I have had was caused by poor workmanship somewere down the line ( I. E. wire nuts , speaker wire that sort of thing ) Only stator I ever had go bad was in a Matchless G15 mach2 and it looks like it didn't have enough air gap . But if you know that bike you can see why its so hard to check it . ( the stator bolts to the outside primary and there is no inspection hole ) Its all in maintance and how you look at things .

·
Registered
523 Posts
I dunno guys, I've had numerous mags and dynamos rebuilt by so called experts in the past and most let me down, some didn't but it always seemed to happen at the worst posible time and place. When you compare Lucac stuff to say Bosch, Joe Hunt, Kent etc they are not to good. Maybe next time I'll get Dick to do the rebuild, that could be the answer. My point is that you can pretty much gaurentee if you buy an old brit bike you are gonna have to sort out the Lucas stuff on it, everytime, which is a pain in the arse and expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Baron said:
These days with the advent of mica condencers and fresh windings They are pretty good, The trouble is some guy buys a mag from a swap meet or E-Gay, and because the Vendor says it's ok the average Joe gets sucked in fits it and it's still on a forty plus year armature and condencer and wonders why it gives trouble, and the same applies to lucas Dc lighting Equipe is also fine as long as it is yet again maintanined and serviced properly, or a new winding and field coil fitted ,and some Idiot has been ajusting the cvc unit with out knowing how to so!

( by the way i'm usless at spelling).
I don't now about Lucas electricals but that is one of the longest sentences I have ever seen!! :D Don't sweat the spelling - you got the idea across just fine.

I agree with what you're saying. The overall condition of the items used will effect the way it performs. Lousy stuff in poor shape will perform accordingly. Just ask my ex-wife, she'll tell you...:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts