Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
scootermcrad said:
What's everyone running in their brit bike primary chain case? I've heard ATF type transmission fluid runs a little better and allows better shifting than the recommended 20wt. Thinking of running this in my Triumph.

Are you talking about the primary or gearbox? Shifting has to do with
the trans oil. I use 20 Red Line in my primary and Red Line lt weight
shockproof in the trans. Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bugeye13 said:
scootermcrad said:
What's everyone running in their brit bike primary chain case? I've heard ATF type transmission fluid runs a little better and allows better shifting than the recommended 20wt. Thinking of running this in my Triumph.

Are you talking about the primary or gearbox? Shifting has to do with
the trans oil. I use 20 Red Line in my primary and Red Line lt weight
shockproof in the trans. Great stuff.
Primary chain case. Sorry, I meant clutching... oops! Hmmm, redline stuff; I'll check it out.

My buddy has a 74 Norton and he runs ATF in his primary chain case (not sure what type ATF) but says he likes it. Never heard that until he brought it up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just mentioning here, if it's a post 1970 Triumph, then the primary chain case uses the engine oil, there's no seal on the crank, and there's three little holes in the side of the crank case so it doesn't overfill.

ATF does work will in sealed primaries, also helps you identify where leaks are coming from (red spot or black spot).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Englishman said:
Just mentioning here, if it's a post 1970 Triumph, then the primary chain case uses the engine oil, there's no seal on the crank, and there's three little holes in the side of the crank case so it doesn't overfill.

ATF does work will in sealed primaries, also helps you identify where leaks are coming from (red spot or black spot).
Hmmm... that's a good little tip on the leaks. It's a given those will exist. It's a '60 pre-unit, so it has a sealed case. Any particular ATF type fluid? Dexron III or whatever? There must be like 50 kinds... Or does it even matter as long as it's thin?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Englishman said:
Well, I wouldn't be putting Type F in there!

Just kidding, I don't think it would make a difference.

Got a pic of the pre unit?
I'll give the ATF a shot. I've been hearing good things...

I'm going to post some new pics of the Pre-unit soon. If you want a quick peak of the direction I'm going you can check out my public profile pic. Very rough in that pic, but new ones are coming soon. Just racing to finish it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts