Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so's I've been looking around for a springer front for my 04 Roadster. I have found a few, but decided, since I have a full machine shop here, and they are relatively pretty simple to make, that I should just make my own.
I really dont want a chrome one and I dont want to make one chopper style, just a nice beefy short springer.
heres where your wisdom is needed:

__with a 28* neck, should I duplicate the length of the stock forks or add an inch or so?
__ I can machine the whole thing, plates , bars etc out of aluminum, I make the main legs out of 1" aluminum bar stock ...sound heavy enough or should I fatty (1.25" +) with the legs...or should I create this out of steel and just powdercoat it all.
__any recommendation, ideas, comments, free beers welcomed.

I am thinking aluminum would look great, but also I like the idea of black powdercoated steel and chrome springs and nuts:rolleyes:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Never built a springer but I am guessing there is a reason you NEVER seen an aluminum one. Strength. I saw a nice one a guy built out of
mild steel at the races in Rockingham last year. Just use bronze bushings and you should be fine. I am sure there are tech articles out there too. A lot of guys built them and girders in the past. Good luck.
Rod

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
look at it this way, if you don't like the way that it looks, you can go and sell it here! shit, if it had the right neck stem, i'd be willing to take any spare springers off yer hands, but my Ironhead has that damned 7/8 neck!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rukwikenuf said:
look at it this way, if you don't like the way that it looks, you can go and sell it here! shit, if it had the right neck stem, i'd be willing to take any spare springers off yer hands, but my Ironhead has that damned 7/8 neck!
another easy thing to duplicate:D

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
rukwikenuf said:
An HD 45 springer has a 7/8" neck. Regarding the guy's homemade concept springer, I'd go thicker than the 1" aluminum. I have seen one homemade aluminum springer and it had cast rear legs in a beefy I-beam shape. You may want to go thicker like you say but then ball mill out the web where the neutral axis is and keep the thickness where it's needed on the outside. I'd go just a little longer than the hydraulic front end.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creepinogie said:
An HD 45 springer has a 7/8" neck. Regarding the guy's homemade concept springer, I'd go thicker than the 1" aluminum. I have seen one homemade aluminum springer and it had cast rear legs in a beefy I-beam shape. You may want to go thicker like you say but then ball mill out the web where the neutral axis is and keep the thickness where it's needed on the outside. I'd go just a little longer than the hydraulic front end.
excellant info, I've decided to do steel and prolly take a look at 3" longer and try and model it on my puter first to see how its gonna sit

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont like the idea of aluminum legs, but I believe one of the "pros" is making em now.

I make mine out of heavy wall DOM (1.500 x .250 wall) for the rear legs.

For a starting place, hit www.crimescenechoppers.com Joe sells some nice plans and they even include a list of the parts that need to be bought with links and part numbers to get them.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mute said:
I dont like the idea of aluminum legs, but I believe one of the "pros" is making em now.

I make mine out of heavy wall DOM (1.500 x .250 wall) for the rear legs.

For a starting place, hit www.crimescenechoppers.com Joe sells some nice plans and they even include a list of the parts that need to be bought with links and part numbers to get them.
excellant website indeed. I think I'll pick up a set of their plans, everything else I can make pretty easily enough.
thanks for the tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.