Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Ive been tossing up wether to make this ol brass fire extinguisher work as a oil tank (see pics) it is about 1 quart, is this enough? I was thinking about maybe running an oil cooler and external filter to make up a bit of volume?
It looks good with my brass headlight also! (see pic)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Run two and you will be fine with the filter and cooler, for just around town its ok, but realy you need three quarts to cool the motor properly....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that roach!, Does it vary from engine to engine? I have a 72' T120v, Ive just had a brain storm too, maybe I should try readin the friggin manual! the manual says 4 lmp pints (2.27 litre) thats roughly about 2 quarts? would an external oil filter and oil cooler hold about half a quart?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would say it depends how often you are going to change your oil?
Oil in triumphs dosent get hot because of the piss poor top end feed so I would'nt worry about a cooler.
as long as you have enough room in the tank to cope with foaming and change oil frequently I would use it, but I am sure you will get different opinions for or against.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Also, remember you can't fill your oil tank all the way to the top, you've gotta leave a fair amount of empty space in there as well, so at best you'd only have about 2/3 of a quart of oil in there. My custom tank is about 2 quarts when completely full, but in reality will only have about 1 1/2 quarts in it and it's on the verge of being too small on my triumph. The external oil filter us a good way to add a little capacity, I'll be running one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen old fire extinguishers used before. Ususally they are made of very thin gauge material and not made to withstand the vibration of a bike. Check it often for oil leaks because it will probably crack on you.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's not just about cooling...you need a certain amount of dwell time in the tank for air/froth to seperate from the oil before it is pumped back through the pressure side of the oil system.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah, I remember the times when I had my brit bikes... 1000 miles and change the oil.

Make a fairing from the down tube to the tank that can duble as a tank, triangle in shape that is the lengh of the tank with a round inset for the tank, that way you will have the corect amount of oil......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Righto, bit of research today, i dont really want to f around with two tanks, but I do want to have something old pattina brass looking, I think Im gunna make my own (out of steel) and get it brass plated? and try and let it age naturally what do you guys reckon?

Will start a build thread soon keep you all posted

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And yes I did measure the capacity as I also thought it was big enough for an oil tank, It looks the right size in the picture doesnt it

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Maybe some alloy tube with brass capped ends.
Are you gunna steampunk this ride?
Too much brass can kill I feel, love the ideas good luck look forward to seeing a build thread.
I have week acid wash will age brass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts