Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a supposed new set of forward controls off of eBay and one of the levers has a bushing that is either out of round or too small as it won't slide onto the mounting shaft. Just wondering what I can do to the bushing to get it to slide onto the mounting shaft? Can I just sand it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to mess the bushing up for good.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
First thing I'd do would be to ask the seller to make good on it, but if your wanting to get the controls mounted now, the next thing I'd do would be to grab an adjustable reamer and size the bushing to the shaft. But I'm guessing that you don't have acess to that sort of equipment (they really aren't expensive). An alternative would be to take an appropiate sized rod,bolt or wooden dowel and wrap some fine sand paper around it and then carefully rotate it inside the bushing to enlarge the I.D. The trick is to keep the sandpaper in even contact with the bushing so the diameter stays consistent from end to end. Another thing that works pretty good -- if you take a small diameter pipe or piece of tubing and cut a longitudinal (lengthwise) slot in it, then you can tuck an end of the sandpaper into the slot and then wrap the sandpaper around the tube until you reach the desired diameter. It's not as accurate or as efficient as a proper reamer, but this trick has helped me out a time or two. Good Luck.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
689 Posts
go to the local auto parts store and buy a brake cylinder hone. put some tap oil in the bushing and hone it to size with the brake cylinder hone in a drill.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a lever for forward controls not a cam bushing. You can get away with a really sharp drill bit. All it's there for is to be a softer matl. To wear. It was most likely made to size and then pressed in. When pressed in it shrunk the ID hole a bit. If it was a cam bushing I would say ream it. But just use a drill a run it thru. If you have a drill press, great. Your looking for a pretty fast speed. Make sure you use oil in however you cut it, brass can be a but gummy and grab on you causing to dig into the bushing.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ditto on the drill bit. To make it fit snuggly, drill out to the same size as the shifter shaft, to make a tight fit, apply a little valve grinding snot, and spin in the bushing for a few revolutions, and clean. Check for smooth spin, if not, more snot and a few more spins. Eventually, it will get fitted. Make sure you clean ALL the snot off, or it will continue to remove material, and you will be back to loose fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts