Jockey Journal Forum banner

Brake Lights

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Primo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'm running a Model A taillight (duolamp) with a nifty lense I picked up. Bought the stainless steel light assembly with bulbs from Speedway Motors for like $20. It has the license light also. I think I'm going to see about replacing the bulbs with LED clusters. Anyone do this in a Model A lamp?

My buddy made a taillight for his Shovelhead out of an old electrical insulator and a towel rod base. Thing looks friggin' awesome... case in point, maybe you can make something cool out of something not intended to be a light. Just a thought...

#4 ·
Primo said:
Yeah, those are all pretty good repops. I wanted to use a real one, but everything I found was in bad condition and if it was in good condition they wanted an INSANE amount of money for it. Ask them (if you order it) if they can recomend a 12v LED cluster for it. They sold me some halogens to go in it, but they were too long and hit the lense.

#6 ·
I paid $15 for an old Guide unit that used to be used on the GM station wagons from the late forties to the early fifties. It's got a license plate light and looks pretty similar to the first one posted. Found it in with a bunch of carbs and distributor parts at the last swap meet I went to.

#7 ·
KnuckleBuster said:
I paid $15 for an old Guide unit that used to be used on the GM station wagons from the late forties to the early fifties. It's got a license plate light and looks pretty similar to the first one posted. Found it in with a bunch of carbs and distributor parts at the last swap meet I went to.
I need to start going down to the LBC swap meets! There is one bike swap here in Vegas that happens once a month, but is pretty much whack! Not really any good car parts either. I miss going to swap meets and finding cool stuff for a cool price...

#10 ·
Django said:
That tractor light is the same as a '36 Ford. You can get them from bobdrake.com for $29.95. Learn something new everyday. Didn't know they used them on the tractors too.
I think depending on the model some were painted and some were chrome also. The ones that came on my '35 coupe were painted, but the earlier cars (Model A's) used chrome for standard models and painted for service trucks and similar type vehicles... I think... I guess that's a post for the HAMB. Don't quote me on that one. Getting off subject a little.

#11 ·
knucklebuster -- i know it'd be a loooong drive for you, but you should definitely consider attending the fall hershey swap meet. it's the last place in my circle of events where one can still consistently find good deals on old car parts.

nimrod -- i love that friggin bike. how are things coming with the new / old victorian house?

#16 ·
nimrod -- i love that friggin bike. how are things coming with the new / old victorian house?[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Son of a bitch owners cut two trees down a week before escrow was supposed to close, and I liked those trees (100 year old walnut trees). I threatened to sue, and just accepted a settlement today. So things are back on track, as long as nothing else happens I'll close this friday.

#17 ·
Nimrod said:
Son of a bitch owners cut two trees down a week before escrow was supposed to close, and I liked those trees (100 year old walnut trees). I threatened to sue, and just accepted a settlement today. So things are back on track, as long as nothing else happens I'll close this friday.
Were the trees in bad shape? We had a close one this winter when a neighbor's 80 year old tree fell into our front yard. It took out two of our trees and a rain gutter. I wish they had taken thier tree down sooner! No one's homeowners would cover it, so the neighbor paid for tree removal and I'm stuck with two bare spots and no landscaping.

Now if yours were in good shape, that's a different story... some people have no appreciation for history and things that are old. The worst part of it is that they probably thought they were doing you a favor.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with brake lights!

Ed

#19 ·
richard cranium said:
Were the trees in bad shape? We had a close one this winter when a neighbor's 80 year old tree fell into our front yard. It took out two of our trees and a rain gutter. I wish they had taken thier tree down sooner! No one's homeowners would cover it, so the neighbor paid for tree removal and I'm stuck with two bare spots and no landscaping.

Now if yours were in good shape, that's a different story... some people have no appreciation for history and things that are old. The worst part of it is that they probably thought they were doing you a favor.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with brake lights!

Ed
No, the worst part is they didn't think they were doing me a favor. Its a probate sale and the family sold the two burls for the money (used to make veneer for furniture, dash boards and the like). I still don't know how they think they could get away with it. One of the decks on the house was built around the larger tree! Sad thing is Gloria the owner of the house who passed away wouldn't even clip a tree, she believed the spirits of the dead lived in the branches (she was a little excentric).

Anyway, sorry for the off topic rambling.
-Jeff

#22 ·
G Griffin - that ROCKS!! Very sweet looking light.

I'd love to get to Hershey/Carlisle at some point, but I just have too much to do around the house for the next year or two...someday though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.