Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Does anybody have any expirence with the electric ignition conversion from Boyer? do you use the stock coils or dom you change those? I have a 71 R75 Beemer that i was doing a tune up on i set the points, adjusted the valves, static timed the engine, put in a new condencer, changed the voltage regulator last fall, cleaned the plugs.changed the oil and started the bike. It ran for about 2 minute and then died, It ran smooth, idled fine and just died. I lost all spark.

I re checked the points gap and that was fine. i tried the old condencer and i didn't get any spark. I tried new plugs and nothing. I tried re timing the engine but i am not getting any juice to the points(i checked the condencer with the timing light.no power) None of the fuses are blown. I have full charge on the battery all the lights work. the only thing i found was that one of the coils was really warm, like all most to hot to touch. Does anybody know how to check coils? I have no idea what happened to the ignition system. I have no spark what so ever.

Thats why i'm thinking of changing everything over to electric ignition. any ideas or help or stories would be appreciated. I'm completely stumped. Thanks, Gregg

·
Registered
427 Posts
greggski said:
Hey guys.

Does anybody have any expirence with the electric ignition conversion from Boyer? do you use the stock coils or dom you change those? I have a 71 R75 Beemer that i was doing a tune up on i set the points, adjusted the valves, static timed the engine, put in a new condencer, changed the voltage regulator last fall, cleaned the plugs.changed the oil and started the bike. It ran for about 2 minute and then died, It ran smooth, idled fine and just died. I lost all spark.

I re checked the points gap and that was fine. i tried the old condencer and i didn't get any spark. I tried new plugs and nothing. I tried re timing the engine but i am not getting any juice to the points(i checked the condencer with the timing light.no power) None of the fuses are blown. I have full charge on the battery all the lights work. the only thing i found was that one of the coils was really warm, like all most to hot to touch. Does anybody know how to check coils? I have no idea what happened to the ignition system. I have no spark what so ever.

Thats why i'm thinking of changing everything over to electric ignition. any ideas or help or stories would be appreciated. I'm completely stumped. Thanks, Gregg
sounds like the coil just shit out...when I use to hot rod BB chivy's I'd run a ballast to cut the current to the coil...try that...it's just possible though that the coil was weak prior and just decided to shit out on ya...points require 5 ohm coils and electronic 2.2-3 ohm coils...sounds like just to much current...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Most point ign. I've used are 1.5ohms-2.2ohms . Take a digital volt meter set to volts DC . Check battery voltage then check the power at the coil . You should have 2 wires going to the coil , one goes to the points and thats the coil ground the other is the power in . Make sure you have battery voltage at the coil with key on . OLd BMW have bad ign. switches . If power to coil is good then unscew your plug caps and wedge the lead between the finns adn crank over the engine . if you see spark your caps were bad if not turn the key off and set your volt meter to ohms and test between the leads . you should get around 10-15K ohms . then check the lead to ground witch should be open line . if that all checks out go to the other side of the coil and check the res. between the ground and power in with the coil disconected . and check to ground If the meter is changing readings or blipping you coil is grounded also if everthing checks out fine then heat the coil up with a heat gun then retest . If thats all good then go down to the points because thats all thats left .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts