Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running a boyer on a bsa with no battery? If so what are you using in place of battery? brand, part #, etc? thanks brian

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hatch said:
My understanding is that boyers need a battery, no matter what type of bike it is on.
that was my understanding too, but i recently talked to someone at a car show with a bsa running a boyer and no battery. I was going to go check out his bike and see exactly how he did it, but we didn't cross paths again. just checking to see if it is possible?

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is possible. I don't know if it's a good idea though. I had my Triumph set up like that for a while, with a Mity Max, and the Mity Max took a shit. I then went to a Portronics and it was a bitch to get running. You had to kick as hard as you could to get it to fire. Then my stator went to hell and I went back to battery.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have a Boyer system in my Triumph. It won't start unless the battery has a full charge. I was warned to keep it charged up to avoid any problems. Might have something to do with the coils. I had to use 6v coils with this system. Maybe they need more voltage or something to give a hot enough spark?

·
Registered
840 Posts
copperbobber said:
It is possible. I don't know if it's a good idea though. I had my Triumph set up like that for a while, with a Mity Max, and the Mity Max took a shit. I then went to a Portronics and it was a bitch to get running. You had to kick as hard as you could to get it to fire. Then my stator went to hell and I went back to battery.
I was wrong...

Now that I think about, That was when I had points in it still.

Yeah, Hatch is right, there has to be a battery with a boyer, and it's gotta have charge or you wont get spark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts