Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but maybe I'm just bad at it. I've been trying to find something about general engine rebuilding practice, not exactly model specific. How to treat the cases, check tolerances, where to use assembly lube, things of that nature. I'm dying to attempt a full rebuild soon but I want the knowledge before blindly gong in. I have a good understanding of engines but really want to be able to tackle these knds of things with full confidence. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
what motor? There are a few youtube vids out there, but you have to dig through a big steaming pile of crap most of the time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Though it is focused on car engines ,the techniques and processes are the same ,so grab a copy of Rick Voegelin's The step by step guide to:ENGINE BLUEPRINTING.
Another publication worth looking at as far as engine rebuilding is by Robert Scharff called Complete Automotive Engine Rebuilding and Parts Machining.It has lots of valuable info on the different techniques in measuring up parts ,installation techniques and machining methods. With those two publications you will have a comprehensive view of what goes into assembling an engine to get the best results.Another excellent publication is an Australian book called Repco Engine Service Manual,which was standard issue when I was training at tech college as a mechanic.
Also ask knowledeable fellas questions,Really good engine builders often dont mind intelligent questions(thats how I learnt to do triumph engines well,by asking a very well respected local guy .I made sure I gave him my business for the jobs I couldnt do myself so he wasnt giving away info without some monetary benefit going back his way).I Hope that helps
Cheers R

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks a lot! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I figure if I can learn general engine building knowledge I can apply it to any engine. Obviously I'll learn the quirks and tricks to whichever engine I jump into first, but this is a great starting point for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts