Jockey Journal Forum banner

361 - 380 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks great Tony! Very compact for a dual engine,, but you're not going to copy my one side tank idea, right? ;)
your way is the only way to do it, alp. there are issues, though, depending on where you want to run, and what class. ECTA requires a 5-liter minimum capacity if you want to run production modified, and to get that requires a 6 x 9-inch tube, or a 28 x 4-inch tube, or an 18 x 4-inch tube (like here) with another 8 x 4-inch on the other side.

the 6-inch is too fat, the 28-inch is too long, the stock tank is too high. if you don't want to run production modified you can make the tank tiny.

i could never figure out why the one stan shenton illustrated had the tank on top:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
I am one of many who find your efforts fantastic.I just hope one day when you have progressed your engine development ,that you can show us some of the ground breaking design in your current engines .I find that stuff interesting ,Maybe too ,the crew at Race Engine Technology magazine will do a feature on your achievements .
Have a great season in 2016
Cheers R
Hi Astek,

I'm following your efforts in the shadow, yours achievements are impressive!!!

Still, I hope you are not cracking your own fuel in your backyard, otherwise the feds might be interested...

; - )

And don't worry about critics, usually, they are just chewin' the fat all days in front of a screen thinking they could do better... if they had the time... the inclination... the tools... THE BRAIN...

; - )

Patrick
Alp, your bike should be there !!!
Thank you all! appreciate it,

thefrenchowl, actually I do not think anyone criticises, some folks just don't understand that I build/design these frames & engines and also ride them. I seriously need a website.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
your way is the only way to do it, alp. there are issues, though, depending on where you want to run, and what class. ECTA requires a 5-liter minimum capacity if you want to run production modified, and to get that requires a 6 x 9-inch tube, or a 28 x 4-inch tube, or an 18 x 4-inch tube (like here) with another 8 x 4-inch on the other side.

the 6-inch is too fat, the 28-inch is too long, the stock tank is too high. if you don't want to run production modified you can make the tank tiny.

i could never figure out why the one stan shenton illustrated had the tank on top:
Hi dorset, my way may look like it is the only way, but the reality is that nobody has done this before. I believe these simple little ideas are the ones that makes the difference and the most difficult ones to figure out. I do not have any problems when other racers use these ideas while mentioning where they got them from.
And your bike looks great, hopefully we will see your bike racing this season, good luck!

"i could never figure out why the one stan shenton illustrated had the tank on top:"

Not just him, they all did it like that, and they still do it like that. They never thought about this one simple idea. It always looks easy when it's already figured out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you're right about hindsight. when somebody breaks out of tradition with a radical idea that works, it always looks obvious . . . but only afterwards, to everybody who didn't think of it before . . . typically people with that ability continue to work ahead of the curve. i'm thinking of smokey yunick, for one. you're another.

the bikes you build are as much works of art as they are record-holding machines, which makes your success that much more impressive. with your nearside tank, though, you've also got to have a neck like a snake to take full advantage of it. dunno whether too many people can match that.

my own stuff is just starting out. right now i'm aiming at april here in ohio, but i don't know what i'll have ready by then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
dude, what you've done with that old design is way more impressive than any high-tech million-dollar land rocket.

way more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice you deserve things to go your way. All the work and time spent is an amazing accomplishment and testament to your will.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Alp works hard and smart. I don't work as hard and I'm sure not as smart!! As witnessed by the May El Mirage blower screw up.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ouch!! That's a hard earned paperweight/conversation piece there!!! I've never seen one so torched!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Alp, the work you do and the goals you have achieved are inspirational to say the least!!!....inspired a good buddy of mine to see what sort of numbers he can get out of a B44 thumper. We hope to have it up and running well enough to make the trip across to Loring before the end of the year. Thank you for what you do!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nice Article
Well worth the read.

361 - 380 of 397 Posts