Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find black rims for a 1970 BSA Lighting project. 19" in front and 18" rear.

Question: will any 40 spoke 18" HD rim work? or must I find a British rim?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You'll want the spoke angles to be the same...better off with the real thing. Why not paint or powder coat the ones you have? That one in the photo might even clean up well.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
^^^ Goldy gets a medal for good advice, esp about spoke angles.

If you are rich, or just robbed a gas station, Buchanan's can fix you up with correct, well-made, and beautiful stuff. Their options (alloy or steel, std. or HD spokes, finishes & colors and so forth) just about cover what's available in the wide world of wheels.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/contact/contact_us.asp

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That one in the photo might even clean up well.
Oh yeah, an SOS pad or two, liberal amounts of water, a little elbow grease and that rim will look pretty good :cool:

That's definitely what I would do.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh yeah, an SOS pad or two, liberal amounts of water, a little elbow grease and that rim will look pretty good :cool:

That's definitely what I would do.
I've had great luck with a brass wire bruch followed up by the ol' aluminum foil and WD40 trick.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'll want the spoke angles to be the same...better off with the real thing. Why not paint or powder coat the ones you have? That one in the photo might even clean up well.
Yes, good advice on the spoke angles...I forgot that I knew that.:confused: So unless money is not of concern or you just want a different rim I would also reuse, clean up or repaint the existing rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts